Who's used 0w-16 in something that doesn't spec it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure some hypermiler has tried it. Trying to eek out every .001 mpg out of his gap taped, grille blocked Geo Metro with moon discs on the wheels.

Add some fuel dilution and its water.
I could see HTHS dropping to 1.9 or 2.0, enough to cause more wear and maybe a spun bearing in about half the engines on the road.

I'd like to get my hands on some to blend with my voluminous 0W-30 HDEO stockpile. Hopefully giving me something close to 0W-20 spec-wise.

Maybe when all the 0w-16 spec'd cars start tossing rods out the sides of their block Autozone and Advance Auto will clearance the 0w-16 for $3.15 a jug.

*chuckles disturbingly*

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Maybe when all the 0w-16 spec'd cars start tossing rods out the sides of their block Autozone and Advance Auto will clearance the 0w-16 for $3.15 a jug.

Should be coming up quite quickly. Seeing as the factory engineers never tested it in anything beyond 5,000 miles.

Avoid sugar and 0W16 ...

I can see some hybrid/electric cars running 0W16. I assume the engine is never working hard and comes on once in a while and a very thin oil may come in handy ... They don't tow either.

My v8 truck recommends 0W20. It's getting 10W30 full synthetic. I must be losing 2¢ in fuel
shocked2.gif

*chuckles disturbingly*

That will be an oil deal I'll be passing on. Truth be told nothing I own calls for it, and I wouldn't be mixing it with anything to make a Frankenbrew. I'm not about to try it in my 5W20 spec'd Jeeps. I headed in the other direction and went with 30 grade oils in them.
wink.gif

I use 30's in my 20's as well. Have a couple rides that spec 20 and a couple that spec 30. Feel like I'm doing the cars that spec 20 a favor by only stocking 5w-30 oil.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Avoid sugar and 0W16 ...

I can see some hybrid/electric cars running 0W16. I assume the engine is never working hard and comes on once in a while and a very thin oil may come in handy ... They don't tow either.

My v8 truck recommends 0W20. It's getting 10W30 full synthetic. I must be losing 2¢ in fuel
shocked2.gif

My sons GMC Denali calls for 0-20 and he uses M1 0-20EP with outstanding results at 12-15K OCIs and he lives in Florida. I use 20 wt M1 oils for the long engine life I get, smooth operation, and great performance in very cold temps. My last three Ford engines have logged some 505K.

Last edited:
I was going to put a quart of two of it in my Jeep Cherokee. It has 500 miles on the 15w-40 I put in it back in the spring. Winter is coming and I just can't make myself drain oil with such low mileage. But it isn't leaking so I don't have any to replace / top off.

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Avoid sugar and 0W16 ...

shocked2.gif

My sons GMC Denali calls for 0-20 and he uses M1 0-20EP with outstanding results at 12-15K OCIs and he lives in Florida. I use 20 wt M1 oils for the long engine life I get, smooth operation, and great performance in very cold temps. My last three Ford engines have logged some 505K.

For engines cleared to use 0w16 or 0w20, it is fine. Around half of engines on the road would not do well on 0w16/0w20 though, for wear, and those engines were never designed for 0w16/20.

"2¢ in fuel" ? Reality is you're paying about 4¢ per gallon more in gasoline at current prices using 10w30 instead of the specification 0w20. I'd use 10w30 for towing though.

Originally Posted by billt460

Should be coming up quite quickly. Seeing as the factory engineers never tested it in anything beyond 5,000 miles.

You think it was only tested for 5,000 miles?
lol.gif
Engines are stress tested for far longer than that.

Why are people scared of it? If it's designed for it, it's designed for it.

The same people who were scared of 30 wt run 40 wt. Then 20 wt was too thin and they ran 30. And no 16 is too thin.

Car manufactuers aren't trying to save the planet, they are trying to make MONEY. They are going to lay by the rules and make their overall fleets as fuel efficient as they can WITHOUT replacing engines under warranty (ie losing money) .

I've never had an issue with 40 wt oil in vehicles specced for 40 wt, 30 wt in veicles specced for 30 wt, 20 wt in vehicles specced for 20 wt, and I won't have oil related wear issues from my 16 wt oil in my car specced for 16 wt.

[censored], I've gone over 5k miles in our Prius, I must have tested it more than a daggum Toyota engineer.

Using a 30 grade in an engine spec'ing a 20 grade, for example, isn't going to " hurt ... " anything. Every engine experiences operation with much thicker oil than is optimal every time the engine is warming up, for 15 or so minutes + after every cold start. Oil gets thicker as it gets colder. And that thicker oil has no problem keeping moving parts from touching.
So no issue.

Using a thinner oil than recommended seems risky. A 16 grade oil at operating temperature is THINNER than a 20 or 30 grade oil. So what might be " just enough ... " oil film thickness under some conditions could end being " not enough ... " with the thinner oil. If the engine is not designed for a 16 grade oil, you risk more metal on metal contact by going too thin.

And, if that newest engine is designed to operate at 100*c oil temperatures, and your older engine is designed to operate at 110*C + oil temperatures, you are making an already thin oil even thinner, by using it outside of it's intended operating temperature environment.

Thicker oil, sure. Thinner oil ? No thanks.

Originally Posted by jayg
Originally Posted by billt460

You think it was only tested for 5,000 miles?
lol.gif
Engines are stress tested for far longer than that.

This is all the same doom and gloom that came with the increasing usage of 0/5w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back