Who's mixing E85 in turbo w/DI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by Sayonara_Sonata
I could run to almost E30 in my turbo Audi A3 before it would trip a CEL.
I run E85 in my Silverado 100% of the time.
My injectors are already maxed in my Abarth...so no room for E85 on that one (pushing nearly 230hp with that little monster on premium).
Wife's is too new to play games with yet...early reports say the engine is stout enough to handle double the stock hp.

How did the Audi run on almost E30 compared to petrol? Snoopin' 'round I speculated somewhere betwixt E20-30 would be the sweet spot.

At the same time I'm looking for folks w/turbo 4s that boosted the turbo a bit & ran ethanol mix.

Thanks for the info.

It ran just fine...couldn't tell a difference one way or the other over running straight premium. Fuel mileage did take a slight hit, but I was after a reduction in price to fill the tank. Instead of using premium, I would do roughly 70% regular pump gas and roughly 30% E85. That usually got me right around E30 final mix with an octane rating just over 91.

How many miles on the clock running 30% ethanol? Did you change heat range on plugs?

I figure I need a stoichiometric air fuel ratio of around 13.7 whilst on an even keel, but the electronics are still on petrol time. The somewhat saving grace of the turbo is always rich setting from the factory.

Last edited:
Dang! That edit clock is fast.

How many miles at 50/50? Any mods? Did you change spark plug heat range or anything within the fuel delivery system?

Any diff in MPG, warm up times or choke rpms? Would you say your performance increase is more noticeable on the low end? Any diff in shift points presuming A/T.

I've read where a complete changeover from petrol to E85 is good for 5% overall performance. This was a hot rod site, so I take the generic, one size fits all,claim w/grain of salt.

Dang! That edit clock is fast.

How many miles at 50/50? Any mods? Did you change spark plug heat range or anything within the fuel delivery system?

Any diff in MPG, warm up times or choke rpms? Would you say your performance increase is more noticeable on the low end? Any diff in shift points presuming A/T.

I've read where a complete changeover from petrol to E85 is good for 5% overall performance. This was a hot rod site, so I take the generic, one size fits all,claim w/grain of salt.

I have 187k on the Silverado. No mods other that it has an aftermarket tune to run on 93 octane. Transmission shift has not changed any. it doesn't like to start when cold, below 40 degrees F. So I don't mix as much with those temps in the forcast. I did loose mpg but the cost difference equals out in my gallons used per mile cost.

I get better throttle response and notice it at the bottom end for sure. i would like to convert it but the cost to do it properly and take full advantage would be more than I want to put in. New injectors and a completely new fuel system to handle the increase of fuel flow needed to support it.

Thanks again for the prompt response. How many of the 187K are 50/50 miles?

I'm sweating moving up to 25% ethanol.

I could run to almost E30 in my turbo Audi A3 before it would trip a CEL.
I run E85 in my Silverado 100% of the time.
My injectors are already maxed in my Abarth...so no room for E85 on that one (pushing nearly 230hp with that little monster on premium).
Wife's is too new to play games with yet...early reports say the engine is stout enough to handle double the stock hp.

How did the Audi run on almost E30 compared to petrol? Snoopin' 'round I speculated somewhere betwixt E20-30 would be the sweet spot.

At the same time I'm looking for folks w/turbo 4s that boosted the turbo a bit & ran ethanol mix.

Thanks for the info.

It ran just fine...couldn't tell a difference one way or the other over running straight premium. Fuel mileage did take a slight hit, but I was after a reduction in price to fill the tank. Instead of using premium, I would do roughly 70% regular pump gas and roughly 30% E85. That usually got me right around E30 final mix with an octane rating just over 91.

How many miles on the clock running 30% ethanol? Did you change heat range on plugs?

I figure I need a stoichiometric air fuel ratio of around 13.7 whilst on an even keel, but the electronics are still on petrol time. The somewhat saving grace of the turbo is always rich setting from the factory.

I ran it a couple years this way...she had roughly 230K miles when I sold her. I didn't touch the plugs during this time. The only maintenance/mods above normal that I did during the couple of years I owned her was to replace the fuel pump cam follower and to add a poly transmission insert to firm up the shifting pattern.

Well, the dust finally settled & I'm back.

I read a paper claiming E40 produced twice the power as E0 on a spark ignition single cylinder. E15 appears perched to replace E10. E85 is available for blending. My thought was a modest blend for modest power boost.

I'm not sure how much extra ethanol the O2 sensor can compensate w/o running too lean. W/o a widebody O2 gauge making a determination is tricky. I'm guessing close to E20. I've had some point out that only E10, according to OM, is allowed though they finally gave an OK to E15 last year. The 2.0T was the last hold-out to be given the green light by the manufacturer.

Hypermiling, 1500rpm, a mite heavy on ethanol showed 42+ mpg on the meter that's notorious for being 2-3 mpg high. That & the idle increased rpm. So, I backed off a few percentage points dropping hypermiling to 38mpg.

I felt comfortable at that setting, but decided to scale back again a couple of points continuing to hypermile at 1500rpm the engine responding w/35mpg.
Then I grew weary of throttling the pedal. so I shut down filling up w/93octane.

I'm having a problem locating a front wheel dynamometer that isn't 300 miles away. W/o a printout there's nothing save the butt dyno.
Perhaps I'll snag a widebody O2 gauge down the road. At least then perhaps I could make some type of determination on how much I could mix staying within the parameters of the fuel system.

I see folks adding various bolt-on mods and thought why not extra ethanol? Even though recommended for only E-10 it isn't as if I'm introducing a foreign fuel into the system. Maybe close to twice as much. The wild card for me, other than AFR, is the turbo. I do not wish to become too carried away.

Looking for reliability w/modest gains.

Anyone else, turbo/blower or not, blending E70/85?

ETA: I hoped to find the threshold for me in E70 then back off the blend so that would relate to E85. I've no interest in gobs of power.

I'm no Rat Fink,

I only want a little piece of the cheese ...

Last edited:
Mercedes-Benz July 25, 2013 claims octane is the single most important fuel property.
High Octane is the key enabler for higher torque, power and efficiency.

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/05/f15/b13_woebkenberg_2-b.pdf

Octane + Mid Blend Ethanol (E20+) is a Powerful Fuel
• Ethanol is naturally very high octane 109 RON
• Ethanol has high cooling effect which provides additional benefits for higher "effective" octane - 4x greater than E0.

• E20+ added to various "base" blends of gasoline can provide > than 102 RON.

Which is all good und fine for the 2.0T engines. Vin-Vin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back