Who is using a Squeezebox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just plunked down for one, and am curious if anyone else has lived with one. It was more $$ than the Soundbridge, but seems a cut better.

I've had all our CDs ripped over to networked HDDs for some time and am looking forward to comparing this little box to some better players and transports.

As I get older, convenience starts looking better and better.

I have one on order... meaning, I requested it for Christmas from my g/f. From all I've read and heard, it's a well-built device with good quality audio output.

The only thing I don't like is that you still have to have a PC on in order to play your home audio collection because this thing relies on the Slimserver app. Most people who go for the Squeezebox don't have a dedicated HTPC, so they have to use their other PC for that, although I've heard it doesn't chew up too much resources.

Alternatively you could find a network drive that runs FreeNAS. It is possible to install Slimserver directly on such drive. Not sure if your particular NAS qualifies.

Do let us know how you like it once you get it. What kind of home audio system are you going to be using with it?

I've had Slimserver installed on the system holding the data (our audio "server") for about a year, and have been accessing it across other systems using softsqueeze. Slimserver does have a small resource footprint and is generally stable.

But I'm curious as to how the hardware performs.

Initially, I'll be using the onboard DAC and outputs, which is why I chose it over the Roku (I understand the Roku re-samples at an odd bit rate and struggles with lossless formats). But it will eventually be a simple head unit for a relatively high end DAC.

I'll probably buy one or two more if this one works out, as we have plenty of audio setups around here. I also like that it is very strong with internet radio.

We're hardwired here, so I should have bought sooner when a cheaper wired-only version was still available.

I'll let you know how it goes.

We have it up and running.
Some early impressions:

1. A no-brainer to get this one over the Roku, as the SB is MADE IN THE U.S.A. Worth the extra $$ just for that. It is very well made, and has a solid, quality feel to it.

2. It integrates quickly and seemlessly with Slimserver, and is as easy to use as a CD player once set up. We are running ours via Ethernet, so set up took all of 20 seconds. I can't speak to how the wireless setup would operate, but hardwired runs flawlessly.

3. Slimserver gives a lot of options, including streaming RSS feeds. Besides accessing all of our CDs in full wav (plenty of storage, no need for flac), we also have all of our old time radio and other MP3 collections accessible in a separate directory. The SB is facile with both, and it is fun to listen to old time radio shows through our tube system.

4. The sound, so far, is roughly comparable to a $300-$400 CD player. Very good. But I have and have heard better. It can get slightly thin and raspy in the upper registers. I'm hoping for some further improvements after 24 more hours of play.

5. The PS is definitely a shortcoming and may account for some of the sibilance. I will likely upgrade to a linear & regulated supply. Once connected to our big rig DAC setup, it should become less relevant anyway. I have no intention of doing any Boulder mods to it for that reason.

Overall, so far, this has been a very good purchase, and for most casual listeners will be more than enough player as-is. It is nice to have our entire CD library available this way. It is also nice to enjoy our computer-based media away from the computer, on a quality audio system, from the comfort of an easy chair.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like I will be happy with mine when I get it, too.

How does it do with internet radio? I know it supports some formats natively, while for some others (like AAC) it needs the SlimServer to do the conversion before it sends its to the Squeezebox, is that right?

Just got one and I can't get it to work at all. When I plug it in, it just shows the logitech logo for a split second and then nothing. As if it was shutting down right away. No buttons on the remote work. I tried resetting it - still same behavior.

I have a suspicion that the power supply is messed up. In any case, I guess I will have to ship it back to Amazon. What a PITA! I was really looking forward to playing with it this weekend.

I have one and love it. Hooked right up to the mac mini over my c. 2002 wireless router.

I have it hooked into a mid-end DAC (~$1000 for dac and torroidal power supply), which has 92 khz upsampling.

MP3s that Ive riped sound great, but the internet radio quality with upsampling is amazing, I cant believe how good it sounds...

Next Ill be linking it to my sirius account.

JMH

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just got one and I can't get it to work at all. When I plug it in, it just shows the logitech logo for a split second and then nothing. As if it was shutting down right away. No buttons on the remote work. I tried resetting it - still same behavior.

I have a suspicion that the power supply is messed up. In any case, I guess I will have to ship it back to Amazon. What a PITA! I was really looking forward to playing with it this weekend.

That's a shame. Did you try asking for some support from Slimdevices before shipping it back?

It's a good product, so don't give up hope. Ours has continued to improve. Once connected to our DAC and with a better PS, it should jump to another level.

Tip: CIAudio is offering a $499 Christmas special on a SB3/VDC-SB combo.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have one and love it. Hooked right up to the mac mini over my c. 2002 wireless router.

I have it hooked into a mid-end DAC (~$1000 for dac and torroidal power supply), which has 92 khz upsampling.

MP3s that Ive riped sound great, but the internet radio quality with upsampling is amazing, I cant believe how good it sounds...

Next Ill be linking it to my sirius account.

JMH

You're not going to need much digital front end with MP3s. An outboard DAC might help you a little on the output stage, but that's about it. Try one of the lossless formats and see how that sounds.

Upsampling won't add what's already gone.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
That's a shame. Did you try asking for some support from Slimdevices before shipping it back?

Well, their support is not open on the weekends, but I will try it on Monday before I ship it back.

I was hoping to find another power supply locally as I'm thinking that is the problem, but I couldn't find one with the exact same specs and shape of the plug/tip.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Volvohead

Well, their support is not open on the weekends, but I will try it on Monday before I ship it back.

I was hoping to find another power supply locally as I'm thinking that is the problem, but I couldn't find one with the exact same specs and shape of the plug/tip.

I have seen on their forum that the Chinese made SBs (yes, they are completely made there now) were having some issues with either the power jack or plug. Perhaps you are getting an intermittent.

You may want to try another PS, if only to confirm it is not a flaky OEM plug. You can always use a better PS with a replacement SB if you have to exchange. The OEM is a cheap 5v switching supply. Some folks are replacing them with regulated linear types and reporting improvements. The SB needs at least 1 amp; upgraded supplies (such as Elpacs) are usually 2A or greater.

Finally got a replacement unit, all hooked up and running. Great device! Sound quality is excellent, and so is the fit and finish.

P1020683.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back