Who here believes in Psychics?

I believe they are scam artists who exploit people's emotions for money. They just cold read you to the point they can make fairly predictable assertions about you or someone around you and if they can't, they just tell you what they think you want to hear.

OH! Psychics... I read it as Physics...
wondering how someone could not believe in Physics...

now, on to the topic at hand...I've "felt" someone looking at me, only to turn around and indeed some one was... and dreams that later came true, etc... far too many times for me not to believe in the possibility of there being something (however slight ) to it...
that being said, 90+% of the "psychics" you'll run across are grifters plain and simple. maybe they're more observant than most people, put things together faster than most, but they have no extranormal abilities.

I do not, but there have been some strange cases. What about the so called psychic Tyler Henry who warned Allen Thicke before he died of a sudden heart attack that one of his relatives who died suddenly from a heart attack was telling him to tell Allen that it runs in the family and that he had a problem. And before the psychic spoke to Allen, Allen supposedly had a recent doctors physical wellness check and they found no problems.

And before the pandemic the Bethel Park Pennsylvania library allowed a woman who clams to be a psychic use one of there study rooms for private readings. She does that on a week-end about once every other month and I think she charges $35 for 20 minutes but I am not sure about the price and time. Anyhow she books them in advance and the customers show up and line up waiting for there turn, and she uses that room for hours and gives the library a cut of the take. Normally the library policy for using the study rooms is you can reserve them for up to 4 hours at a time, and up to 3 times a week, but can not use them for conducting any kind of business. They make an exception for her.

Last edited:
one of my Dad's friends found out in his 20's or 30's that he was a twin, both of whom had been Given up Separated at birth.
Both were named Jim.
Both had Jobs in Law Enforcement. Both Married/Divorced Linda's, and both had Second Wives named Betty. their Sons even had the same First and middle names. (although spelled a bit different)
all of that occurred before they found out about each other and met.
Google "the Jim Twins"

OH! Psychics... I read it as Physics...
wondering how someone could not believe in Physics...

How about Albert Einstein? He didn't believe that quantum mechanics was complete. The phrase god doesn't play dice with the universe was because of his belief that quantum entangled particles exchanged hidden variables and hence there was no dice playing. However Bell's inequality where the loophole free test was done in 2015 showed that there's no hidden variables and that the universe is basically random. So instead of god doesn't play dice with the universe, it's yes, god plays dice with the universe. You can read his EPR paradox. It also gets mentioned in Avengers Infinity war, but the EPR paradox has nothing to do with time travel. Anyway, physics talks a lot about probability curves and psychics are just good at guessing or that people just remember the correct ones and not the incorrect ones. It's always fun when I ask a believer why they can't predict the lottery numbers. That's random and in the future.

Cold read, Hot read....the lack of any specifics is the tell. If you are indeed talking to a dead relative it should be pretty easy to get their phone number while alive. Sad that these people profit on the misery of others.

Psychics have their place, because if you're gullible enough to believe in them, you are likely to have tells and concerns that you give away already so they are just observing what you're begging them to find or to just tell you what to do because you needed that.

A fool and their money... but this happens every day, people paying someone else for what they could have done themselves. Doctors, lawyers (okay these are extreme examples but basically any middleman in your life). Pros have their place and uses, but a lot of their busy work is things people could DIY.

I grew up not believing super natural stuff, but I wouldn't do anything that "may" get myself caught in those situations where just in case they are true...

Things I won't do just in case: ouija board, dowsing, psychics, fortune telling,...

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up not believing super natural stuff, but I wouldn't do anything that "may" get myself caught in those situations where just in case they are true, you pissed some something and you had to pay for the consequences.

Things I won't do just in case: ouija board, dowsing, psychics, fortune telling, burning incenses in a temple, praying to a spirit, making a wish in exchange for something, animal sacrifice, etc etc.

I am not making the broad claim that there are not things that happen that end up being called paranormal.
Of your list above I have no interest in doing any of them but have no qualms of actually doing them if I wanted to.

I don't remember the comedian, but I do remember one spiel about going to see a psychic and him drawing the woman's ire when he pointed out that if she really *was* psychic, she'd have seen that this career choice would land her in a mobile-home on the edge of town and she's have gone a different way...

I believe they are scam artists who exploit people's emotions for money. They just cold read you to the point they can make fairly predictable assertions about you or someone around you and if they can't, they just tell you what they think you want to hear.
County fair gypsies are outstanding at this.

Anything is possible, but this one's quite improbable. AFAIK all tests have been to the contrary. Ergo, barring any new proof or evidence, I don't.

County fair gypsies are outstanding at this.

There's a neighborhood about 20 minutes from me that used to be all gypsies. About 10 years ago, 15-20 of them got arrested on a list of larceny charges. They were running a rather organized operation. The ones who weren't arrested jumped state, and nobody's heard from them. Once the ones arrested got out of prison, they disappeared also. That neighborhood just sits now. The weeds and trees are overtaking the lawns of these $500k-800k big 3-story stone houses that are just vacant. A few of them were still being built when they just left.

Back