While At WM This Morning.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PYB was wiped out! There was probably about 3-4 5 qt. containers on the shelf. There was a HUGE hole in the middle of the shelf. I guess because it's the beginning of a new month PYB was in need.
21.gif

This is routinely what I see at my local Walmart, because they are terrible at stocking oil, especially PYB. All of the higher priced synthetics never seem to move though.

My WM (Murphy, TX) is consistently out of Mobil1 5W-30. Seems like they'd want to keep that stocked if they go through it quickly.

I've seen my local Walmart being routinely wiped out of oil. I have an opinion. Note: I'm as full of [censored] as a Christmas turkey... I'm of the opinion that local independent shops are buying their oil from Walmart. The Rollback prices can be cheaper than these shops can buy oil. The Supertech and QS oil particularly.

In general WalMart is horrible at stocking their shelves. I've wasted a lot of time driving to the store and not finding something I know they carry. There is no excuse for this in the era of computerized checkout and inventory tracking. I started using walmart.com. Same price, free shipping. I believe WalMart is trying to compete with Amazon.

The only oil I've ordered online and received that was correct as advertised was my Yamalube for the boat. The Valvoline was sent back. It wasn't the SN+ version that was shown. Old stock I reckon.

An employee checked stock for me; she went to the back and brought me out some M1.
I also shop on-line; it's too easy.

Always thought Walmart combined sophisticated algorithms at the distribution center end with idiots at the store end. I remember being addicted to Diet Doctor Thunder (it's a drink, it's a laxative) about fifteen years ago. My local store ran out for months on end. Eventually the slot for it on the shelves was removed. I asked at other stores and was told it was the largest selling house-brand drink. Turns out the whole process relied on a single kid that decided constant restocking could be avoided and his job made easier if he just ignored stocking the shelf. No stock, no sales, Bentonville shuts down the deliveries. Called the grocery manager who seemed surprised and it was a big seller again.

Last edited:
The new reality is the manufactures/suppliers are only producing and allotting so much for the retailers.
Many manufacturing facilities are now set up to run at 100 capacity and it's not worth adding more production capability to meet temporary demand spikes.
Remember when .22LR ammo was hard to get? The ammo makers didn't wanna construct an expensive factory to meet a spike in demand only for the factory to be idled.

It's been like this for Mobil1 0W-40 European Car version for more than a month here. Absolutely none on the shelf! None of the other MB 229.5 oils available either. No Castrol nothing that meets that spec.

I never thought of it but PontiacHO may not be far from the truth on this.

And then there's this:
Remember when .22LR ammo was hard to get? The ammo makers didn't wanna construct an expensive factory to meet a spike in demand only for the factory to be idled.

Too many stories on this to pinpoint a cause. I've heard some say that if you were at WalMart at 6 AM on a Friday (stock day) you could buy all the .22 you wanted (and people lined up to do just that.) Stories of hoarding, price gouging on resale, you name it. I chalked it all up to fear of Democrat ideals.
I think we may see that again soon.

We had a first truly spring like weekend and I noticed at WM all of the 20W50, 15W50 oils of all kinds were wiped out, must have been a whole lot of motorcycles and boats changed. There were enough out.

Probably a lot of deferred maintenance occurring.

Rod

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
I've seen my local Walmart being routinely wiped out of oil. I have an opinion. Note: I'm as full of [censored] as a Christmas turkey... I'm of the opinion that local independent shops are buying their oil from Walmart. The Rollback prices can be cheaper than these shops can buy oil. The Supertech and QS oil particularly.
I used to see Mobil stations rolling out flat carts on Mobil 1 out of Costco. I asked one of them about it and he said it was cheaper at Costco than from the distributor.

my wal mart is also terriable about stocking supertech in 10-30. always out. I have to go to the small town down the road where they always have everything. I asked an employee and was told the ordering is done automatically. so some one is droping the ball somewhere.

I do the shopping for our house. My local Walmart always runs out of certain items. The way they keep stock is broken that for sure.

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
I'm of the opinion that local independent shops are buying their oil from Walmart. The Rollback prices can be cheaper than these shops can buy oil.

I've thought the same thing for a while. Can't say I've ever seen anyone with a cart full of engine oil though but they'd most likely shop for it during the day and I don't normally go in during that time.

Its caused partially from auto-replenishment(no one actually orders it)
and shoplifting.

They tend to inventory every 3-4 months so they can start running low on the shelf unless there is an endcap/pallet promo.

Originally Posted by super20dan
my wal mart is also terriable about stocking supertech in 10-30. always out. I have to go to the small town down the road where they always have everything. I asked an employee and was told the ordering is done automatically. so some one is droping the ball somewhere STEALING IT ALL (which would cause it not to be reordered).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back