Which oil next? Mazda skyactiv 2.5

"19 cx5 awd with 2.5L skyactiv-G and cylinder deactivation. About 3-3.5k miles per month with about 80% of that being pretty mellow rural & freeway driving. Here's what I've run so far:

0-2k miles - factory fill

2k-5k miles - Mazda 0w20 syn (not high moly) - car ran great, good mpg

5k-10k miles - Idemitsu Zepro 0w20 high moly - engine ran noticeably smoother/quieter at idle to the point that I forgot to shut the engine off a couple times in the driveway. Good mpg, perhaps slightly better than previous but could be attributed to engine breaking in

10k-current 12k miles - Castrol Edge 0w20 black bottle - engine runs well and mpg is similar, but idle seems a touch rougher than with the high moly Zepro

So what oil do you guys think I should try next at 15k? I realize that pretty much any d1g2 0w20 should be fine, but that would be too easy and mean that I'd actually have to focus on my work instead of screwing around online. These are the options I'm currently considering:

M1 0w16 for 5k interval - would the thinner oil help mpg? Or stupid bc could potentially hurt warranty. Read this has higher PAO, which can't be bad

M1 0w20 EP for 7.5k interval - oil change every 6 weeks is getting old, also supposed to be majority pao correct?

Edge titanium gold bottle 0w20 for 7.5k - with the recent talk of titanium and potential for longer OCI, another seemingly good option

Shell gas truck 0w20 for 5k - newer formulation with more moly than most

Idemitsu Zepro 0w20 d1g2 for 5k - a bit pricier than others at $30/jug, but still reasonable unlike Zepro high moly that has jumped to $40/jug. VOA showed high moly numbers and appears to be on the thinner side of 20wt...

QSUD 0w20 for 5k - cheap, seems to be well liked here, has some moly

Motul 8100 eco-lite 0w20 d1g2 for 5k - is this an ester based oil? If so might go this route at the price (about $6.50 per liter)

Okay well I'd better get back to work. Opinions welcome...

M1 regular or EP easy to get been doing it in my Skyactiv for 120K still runs like the day I picked it up new. Currently running HM formulation with ultra filters.

If you are dumping sumps every 6 week on the low end or 7.5K on the high end - why not try supertech or rural king ?

UD

Last edited:
I would probably use M1 0w20 EP. I know you mentioned 0w16, whatever you do don't use thinner oil than what the manufacture calls for!

At your current OCI's, of the list I'd go with the least expensive which I'd assume is the QSUD. If willing to go off list as mentioned Havoline ProDS box and SuperTech Synthetic. If not put off by rebates I'd check the promo board occasionally and keep an eye out for an after rebate deal. I got a couple jugs of M1 0w20 here I got for ~$11 each AR.

what oils are known to have high moly content in a 5w30?
cant get the zepro here.
love moly so much i named my daughter moly after it.
(not really).
tnx.

If Zepro ran good continue. Don't mess with success. But how was upper end power?

Motul 8100 can be a good oil. I dont think 8100 is majority ester (more at PAO but that was over a decade ago)

Nothing else comes to mind.

I wouldn't fool with dimestore oils that are not classic definition synthetics.

Been running rural king 0-20 in our 2012 Mazda 5. Still runs like the day we got it. 111K now and uses no oil between changes at 5K. A very nice motor.

Stickygreen,

You are the perfect candidate to test a no-name oil like Milesyn, Prime, Amazon Basic, SuperTech etc and compare it your known results. FWIW, I've been running Milesyn in my '18 Mazda3, 2.5L and it runs great.

BTW: I would not run a 0w16 unless the owner's manual offers that as an option.

Ray

Originally Posted by dave123
M1 regular or EP easy to get been doing it in my Skyactiv for 120K still runs like the day I picked it up new. Currently running HM formulation with ultra filters.

True...can't go wrong with M1. Used the 0w20 age for many miles in my half ton dodge with great results before playing around with a bunch of different oils later on.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Havoline Smart Change

Neat setup, but 5qt jugs are perfect for this Mazda

Originally Posted by UncleDave
If you are dumping sumps every 6 week on the low end or 7.5K on the high end - why not try supertech or rural king ?

UD

1. This is my first gdi car and concerned about fuel dilution & deposits

2. The cylinder deactivation is controlled by a variable pressure oil pump that activates/deactivates CD adjusters with oil pressure. For this reason would rather go with more of a name brand premium synthetic that is perhaps more likely to hold grade. More of a peace of mind thing I suppose

Originally Posted by diyjake
I would probably use M1 0w20 EP. I know you mentioned 0w16, whatever you do don't use thinner oil than what the manufacture calls for!

Valid point

Originally Posted by Sayjac
At your current OCI's, of the list I'd go with the least expensive which I'd assume is the QSUD. If willing to go off list as mentioned Havoline ProDS box and SuperTech Synthetic. If not put off by rebates I'd check the promo board occasionally and keep an eye out for an after rebate deal. I got a couple jugs of M1 0w20 here I got for ~$11 each AR.

Yes, definitely going to try qsud at some point. Mobil 1 0w20 as well.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Why not more high moly Zepro if you liked it that much?
Should help pay for itself if you see better mileage with it.

Mileage has remained good with 0w20 edge, so can't say for sure it was the oil and not engine break-in. Will happily go back to the high moly Zepro if the price comes back down to $30/jug as it was a couple months ago. Might give the d1g2 Zepro a try here soon as it still seems to have 200-300ppm moly from posted VOA's

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
If Zepro ran good continue. Don't mess with success. But how was upper end power?

Motul 8100 can be a good oil. I dont think 8100 is majority ester (more at PAO but that was over a decade ago)

Nothing else comes to mind.

I wouldn't fool with dimestore oils that are not classic definition synthetics.

Honestly haven't noticed any power differences between oils thus far. Am very interested in trying the Motul...are there any recent uoa's or voa's posted? Agreed about generic synthetics

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Well if u are a fan of additives and moly.. may as well go with Redline 0w20 577 Moly
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4758799/redline-oil-0w20-voa

However i think my choice would be Havoline ProDS 0w20.. since you are interested in MPG..why not cost of oil?

Would be interesting to see if the cheapest oil also gives great mpg.

Oil cost matters beyond a certain point, which I would say is about $6/qt. More than that doesn't seem worth it in my eyes for a daily driver that gets so many changes a year. Don't get me wrong...I'm a huge fan of Redline. Currently use the 10w40 in my old bmw and will soon be putting RL 5w30 in the ctsv wagon. But those are pleasure cars that get the crap driven out of them. As for cheap, I'm good with $20-30 per 5 qt jug.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
Been running rural king 0-20 in our 2012 Mazda 5. Still runs like the day we got it. 111K now and uses no oil between changes at 5K. A very nice motor.

Honestly if it wasn't for the oil-pressure dependent cylinder deactivation, I'd be more open to trying less mainstream oils. Is the rural king much cheaper than QSUD or Magnatec at Walmart?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Dittos on the Havoline Pro DS. A quality oil at a great price. My SkyActiv runs great on it.

All this love for Havoline...honestly never tried it, though we use Chevron & Delo oils at the ranch with good results. Can't seem to find 5 qt jugs at a reasonable price anywhere...just the 6qt boxes

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Stickygreen,

You are the perfect candidate to test a no-name oil like Milesyn, Prime, Amazon Basic, SuperTech etc and compare it your known results. FWIW, I've been running Milesyn in my '18 Mazda3, 2.5L and it runs great.

BTW: I would not run a 0w16 unless the owner's manual offers that as an option.

Ray

Agree on the 0w16, not so much on the no-name synthetics on this particular engine. If the price is right, I'll run any synthetic in my 375k mile ram 1500 4.7

Just get the 6 quart box. At the rate you change the oil you should get a oil change from the leftovers in no time.

Back