Which oil for new dirt bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is an automotive 10w-40 say like mobil one going to be ok for a wet clutch like I have on this bike? The dealer told me to use an oil made for a wet clutch. In the book it says not to use an energy conserving oil and it lists sf, sg, sh and sj. Would it be ok to use am sm oil? I know you can usually go up but just wondering since it has a wet clutch. Thanks

If you are referring to the 10w-40 HM Mobil 1, I have used it with no ill effects on my wet clutch, and it is quite a bit cheaper than the M1 motorcycle specific 10w-40. I believe the JASO-ma specification defines an oil as being wet clutch safe?

I can also recommend rotella-t 5w-40 as an excellent wet clutch bike oil.

I was wondering if I could use something like that, I have some delvac 1 5w40 on hand now, would that be ok to use?

That Delvac would be great to use. A lot of people run Rotella 5-40, probably moreso than Delvac just because of availability.

I always recommend running the cheapest, non-specified oil in a new motocycle someone else buys ... because its not mine
smile.gif

Hi.

I have used Delvac and Rotella in my motorcycle, and it also has a wet clutch.

Both are excellent. I currently use Delvac because I have 3 jugs floating around. Before that it was Rotella. Great oils.

They probably provide the best bang-to-buck when compared to motorcycle-specific oils.

How does the 5w40 compare to the 10w40 as far as viscosity goes? I assume it probably has the same vis at warmer temps but maybe better vis at cooler temps? Right now we are using it at 10 degrees because we cant wait for it to warm up. It's his first bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back