Which ATF for Mazda MPV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an '04 Mazda MPV with 86k on original ATF. I was going to start doing some drain and fills, not a complete flush. I believe the factory fluid is Merc3/dex3?? It is a Ford engine/tranny I believe.

What fluid is the best recommended? If I wanted to go full synthetic, which one? And can I do drain and refills using fully synthetic ATF?

Thanks!

One more questions.. P/S fluid? I think it calls for merc/dex 3 as well. Should I just drain the reservoir and fill with MaxLife ATF?

Try pulling the ATF dipstick and look carefully. On my Mazda6 the fluid type is etched onto the dipstick.

And don't fear the multi-vehicle fluids from Valvoline or Castrol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrplavick
Try pulling the ATF dipstick and look carefully. On my Mazda6 the fluid type is etched onto the dipstick.

And don't fear the multi-vehicle fluids from Valvoline or Castrol.

I already drained and refilled today with Valvoline MaxLife ATF. I'll do a drain and refill the next couple of oil changes.. this should get mostly new fluid in there.

I think it's the same JATCO 5 speed that the Mazda 6 uses
21.gif

The Mazda 6 5 speed auto specifies Mazda M-V. (M-V, not MerconV)

I could be wrong about the MPV
21.gif
definitely check the stick.

I have an '03 MPV, and I agree with the Maxlife recommendations. It's better than anything else I've tried.

Originally Posted By: HiccaBurp
One more questions.. P/S fluid? I think it calls for merc/dex 3 as well. Should I just drain the reservoir and fill with MaxLife ATF?

I would.

I also have a Mazda MPV (2003)
It's a Jatco JA5A-EL Transmission.

Same transmission as used in several other applications with different names:
Mazda6 (Different model number "JF506E"; Different electrical connectors.)
VW Golf/GTI/Jetta (Called the "09A")
Land Rover Freelander
Jaguar X-Type

Owner's Manual for the MPV says to use ATF M-III or equivalent (Dexron 3)
Service manual confirms this on pages 05-17-23 "Automatic Transaxle Fluid - Inspection and Replacement" as well as 05-50-1 "Transmission/Transaxle Technical Data"

I've read that the M does NOT stand for Mercon, which is usually used in Ford products.

VW Specs an OEM fluid, number "G 052 990 A2"
Jaguar specs an OEM fluid number "C2S 12120"
Land Rover specs an Esso part number, a Shell part number, an Idemitsu part number, Mercon V, and a Jatco proprietary fluid.

Some other Jatcos spec a weird "Matic S, K or D" fluid that I've never heard of. But that appears to be a Nissan OEM fluid.

Then I've found this:
http://www.automotoroil.com/atf/atf-auto...l-jf506e-fluid/

$9 GRAND?! I can buy two of my vans for that price.

Anyhow... Being that it's the same transmission across many makes, there should be one fluid that meets all of the above specs...

Many people report running this:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9012226&contentId=7028224

It meets the requirements of some vehicles including Mercon V... However it does not mention Mazda's M-III, nor does it mention compatibility with the VW, Jag, or Rover fluids.

I'm currently having shifting issues, so I'm looking at draining and refilling the fluid. I have a Dodge (Cummins Diesel) with an automatic and I have heard of the headaches caused by filling with a wrong spec fluid. (In the Chrysler's case, filling with Dexron or Mercon when the transmission specs ATF+3 or ATF+4.)

Is there an aftermarket fluid that meets Mazda M-III requirement or better? Or am I stuck going to the dealership?

Originally Posted By: Pele
I also have a Mazda MPV (2003)
It's a Jatco JA5A-EL Transmission.

Same transmission as used in several other applications with different names:
Mazda6 (Different model number "JF506E"; Different electrical connectors.)
VW Golf/GTI/Jetta (Called the "09A")
Land Rover Freelander
Jaguar X-Type

Owner's Manual for the MPV says to use ATF M-III or equivalent (Dexron 3)
Service manual confirms this on pages 05-17-23 "Automatic Transaxle Fluid - Inspection and Replacement" as well as 05-50-1 "Transmission/Transaxle Technical Data"

I've read that the M does NOT stand for Mercon, which is usually used in Ford products.

VW Specs an OEM fluid, number "G 052 990 A2"
Jaguar specs an OEM fluid number "C2S 12120"
Land Rover specs an Esso part number, a Shell part number, an Idemitsu part number, Mercon V, and a Jatco proprietary fluid.

Some other Jatcos spec a weird "Matic S, K or D" fluid that I've never heard of. But that appears to be a Nissan OEM fluid.

Then I've found this:
http://www.automotoroil.com/atf/atf-auto...l-jf506e-fluid/

$9 GRAND?! I can buy two of my vans for that price.

Anyhow... Being that it's the same transmission across many makes, there should be one fluid that meets all of the above specs...

Many people report running this:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9012226&contentId=7028224

It meets the requirements of some vehicles including Mercon V... However it does not mention Mazda's M-III, nor does it mention compatibility with the VW, Jag, or Rover fluids.

I'm currently having shifting issues, so I'm looking at draining and refilling the fluid. I have a Dodge (Cummins Diesel) with an automatic and I have heard of the headaches caused by filling with a wrong spec fluid. (In the Chrysler's case, filling with Dexron or Mercon when the transmission specs ATF+3 or ATF+4.)

Is there an aftermarket fluid that meets Mazda M-III requirement or better? Or am I stuck going to the dealership?

Plain old Dex3 is fine for your MPV

Originally Posted By: GSCJR

Will I gain anything by using Castrol TransMax Import Fluid over the Dex3?
It's more expensive. Perhaps the lighter wallet will put less strain on the transmission.

Just really trying to smooth out the shifts. They're kinda punchy.

It's more expensive. Perhaps the lighter wallet will put less strain on the transmission.

Well, Castrol TransMax Import Multi-Vehicle(IMV) has a higher cSt(8.0) compared to other ATF's including Dexron III/Mercon. And, the Castrol TM IMV has friction modifiers.

The Castrol TransMax IMV may do the trick for you but, "WHO KNOWS"? It could be a gamble though, I don't think it will hurt your tranny. I have never used a Friction Modified ATF in a DexIII/Merc application.

Keep in mind too that, Castrol also has TransMax Domestic Multi-Vehicle ATF and a variety of other ATF including DexIII/Merc, MerconV, ATF+4 & Dom/Imp MV. But again, "WHO KNOWS"?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Well, Castrol TransMax Import Multi-Vehicle(IMV) has a higher cSt(8.0) compared to other ATF's including Dexron III/Mercon. And, the Castrol TM IMV has friction modifiers.

The Castrol TransMax IMV may do the trick for you but, "WHO KNOWS"? It could be a gamble though, I don't think it will hurt your tranny. I have never used a Friction Modified ATF in a DexIII/Merc application.

Keep in mind too that, Castrol also has TransMax Domestic Multi-Vehicle ATF and a variety of other ATF including DexIII/Merc, MerconV, ATF+4 & Dom/Imp MV. But again, "WHO KNOWS"?

Also Pele, have you tried different brands of DexIII/Merc? I can't say that I've ever noticed the difference but, one may(MAY) feel better than another!

You also may have something else going on with the tranny or, you just don't like the shifts in this tranny. I had an older Honda that I didn't like the shifts in. But, no matter which Dex ATF I used, there was no change. It's sometimes just the charactor of the tranny I'm afraid
frown.gif

I must say(and I've said this in other posts) that I do notice the difference with Castrol IMV compared to other ATF's but, it's not the difference between good and bad, just that it's different(shifting patterns), though small/noticible

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back