Where to use T4 15W-40 in a 10W-30 World?

I am retiring an old Craftsman leaf vacuum with a 4.5 HP Tecumseh that had been running on T4 15W-40. This leaves me with 2 quarts of unneeded oil. My outdoor fleet is now almost exclusively OHV powered with 10W-30 oil recommended. The exception is a 1985 vintage Troy-Bilt (real one - not MTD) with a 5 HP Briggs flathead. This puppy calls for SAE 30 but currently runs T6 5W-40. I have no intention of putting the 15W-40 in there because this machine does most of its work at around 40 degrees at the beginning and end of the gardening season. Maybe I should rethink that?

So, should I just use it as top up oil in whatever needs it, or is there a better alternative?

The xW- 40 is a better oil for air cooled engines I run xW-40in my lawn mowers, line movers, pressure washer and generator. , In July I put in some left over 5W-30m Quaker State ultimate and the other day I changed the oi land is was more sparkly than with the xW- 40 wt. I have had the mower since 2011 and change the oil twice a year as it cuts 17,000 sq ft of lawn every 5 days. Not commercial use but quite a bit

15w40 will still work fine at 40 degrees, like mentioned above it will work in all of the other machines. The only thing I wouldn't use 15w40 in would be a snowblower. Even then, it won't hurt anything just might be harder to pull over.

15w40 will still work fine at 40 degrees, like mentioned above it will work in all of the other machines. The only thing I wouldn't use 15w40 in would be a snowblower. Even then, it won't hurt anything just might be harder to pull over.
Actually I found a use for this as chainsaw bar oil when a major cutting project commenced late last summer. The next 15w-40 to land around here will be the new Rotella T6. It looks as if the summer toys will be heading into hibernation soon. I anticipate spreading around four quarts of the 15w-40 T6 sometime this month.

Back