where does gas go if not poured directly in fuel hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys! my last bottle of fuel injector cleaner didnt have a good spout on it and my gas hole has the sheet metal infront of it so the only way to make sure gas is actually going directly in the tank is to push the sheet metal thing with the gas tank metal nozzle. so i had to pour my fuel injector cleaner on the small holes in the gas tank filler neck.
i just wanna make sure that still leads str8 to the tank and not to waste under the vehicle?

i can provide pic if im not making sense but my gas tank has the main fill hole and then nearby it has a bunch of 1 cm holes in it, so im wondering where those lead to

It will just drip down into the pipe and end up in the tank. The holes are there is in case some gas ends up outside the door when removing the nozzle. Also they let air and vapor escape as the tank fills.

The door is to remind you not to fill up with diesel or leaded gas. Only an unleaded pump should have a nozzle small enough to fit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by apollo18
hey guys! my last bottle of fuel injector cleaner didnt have a good spout on it and my gas hole has the sheet metal infront of it so the only way to make sure gas is actually going directly in the tank is to push the sheet metal thing with the gas tank metal nozzle.

So you're saying there is some sort of blockage in your gas hole?

i can provide pic if im not making sense

Nah, that's all right. I think we can work on this without pictures.

It all goes to the tank. Think about it, you have an evaporative emissions system that keeps fuel and fumes in, and the o-ring in your gas cap is the top seal for that. Everything below-- both the small and big holes all go to the same place.

I think the small ones are to give a liquid signal to the gas nozzle that the tank's full, and it should shut off now, but don't quote me on that.

i just wanna make sure that still leads str8 to the tank and not to waste under the vehicle?
This may vary from one vehicle to another. In some capless ones, the fluid can end up on the ground instead of in your tank.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlqqD44HWFE

Even though my 530i doesn't have capless gas tank, if I don't ensure that the little metal flap is open, I'll end up with fluid on the ground.

There is a low point drip hole on our sienna. It drops fuel spilled when removing the nozzle onto the inner fender and the ground.

Originally Posted by kschachn
So you're saying there is some sort of blockage in your gas hole?

I think he's describing the little hinged metal flap that's present in a lot of gas tank fillers... The one that gets depressed when you put the nozzle in. That same one that gets in the way when you want to dump a can of fuel injector cleaner in, or use a gas can and the spout's not long enough
smile.gif

I've had this happen many times, I watch the gas/fluid just trickle around it; it eventually gets to the tank I assume as there's never any fumes or liquid spilling on the ground.

One time I put a fuel additive in my Ford and it all spilled on the tire because yay capless
frown.gif
so depending on the car if your container isn't capless compatible you have to use the weird funnel thing that comes with the car. Of course I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice the puddle on the tire and the ground until I dumped the whole bottle of additive in @.@

Last edited:
The small hole outside of the fuel cap leads to the fender and the ground, not the fuel tank. If the holes are past the fuel cap, then yes that stays in the fuel system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back