where do private parties go to sell cars now?

on the internet. still searching for a vehicle. Craigslist is mostly dealers now. So is FB marketplace. i rather buy something from a private party if i can. So where do private party go to sell their car these days?

Just listed a car on CL and FBM. CL had better response. Worth the $5.

Sold two cars over the last 2 years, both were listed on AutoTrader and Craigslist. One sold from CL the other from AutoTrader. When looking for private party sellers I like that you can filter for it on AutoTrader.

CL still because that is where buyers still look. Many buyers not aware of $5 listing or really care.

$5 is a screaming bargain.

Last edited:
I found cleaning the car and parking it near the local Home Depot entrance or exit sells them pretty quick. Over the years my brother and a few friends took my advice and sold their cars fast and free doing just that.

I like browsing auto tempest. They pull from a large number of sources, except FB marketplace, and let you sort from dealer or private.

FB is a horrible place to shop. No way to filter for specific things and listings are garbage. I have noticed on Craiglist that the $5 fee has helped some with junk listings, and just filter from private seller (although some dealers stick it in the private seller listings).
I have used auto trader in the past, but not any time in the past few years, so no idea how good or bad it is.

I have had excellent luck with Facebook marketplace. I sold two snowblowers this year and they sold right away. It works good for cars or trucks in my area as well. Craiglist works too but it seem as if it's more farm equipment I see on there than cars or trucks.

I have sold my last few cars on CL. Yes there are dealers but a lot of private party also. I start with a high price and once I get down to the proper price the vehicle sells.

Sold my daughter's car this past summer on CL for full asking price after about three days. Cost was like $5 if memory serves. No issues, very easy.

Of all the methods mentioned I have used AutoTrader, CL, Cars.com, strategic street and lot parking....but....

I'm blessed with living in an area where local town shopper's papers are still popular.

What makes ads in those better is that one company usually publishes a half dozen papers and the ads are printed in them all.

Back