where can I get more info in regards of CVTF J4 fluid

where can I get more info in regards of CVTF J4 fluid requested by Mitsubishi.

The specification are ? and who's making the certification ? SAE , Jaso ?? I have no idea

Also if Valvoline Lucas and or Castrol says that their oil meets J4 is it automatically or close to be the same product that Mitsu is selling and high price ?

If so How Mitsu can say to use only their Genuine mitsubishi CVT Diaqeen oil at least here in Canada ? Do they know something that Castrol lucas and valvoline dont know ?

Merci guys :)

Does Canada have an equivalent of Magnuson-Moss? :unsure:

The Japanese don't typically have a formal licensing/approval program like the Germans do, but they are usually less picky. The Valvoline and Castrol CVT fluids will work fine in your Mitsubishi with no problem :)

The Japanese don't typically have a formal licensing/approval program like the Germans do, but they are usually less picky. The Valvoline and Castrol CVT fluids will work fine in your Mitsubishi with no problem :)
In regards of the Magnuson-Moss act Ill have to take a look ... thanks :)

I changed the ATF in my 2014 Outlander with the 6 speed trans. Looks like yours might have the CVT. The fluid is pricey because it is proprietary but I didn't want to risk the trans especially while it is still under warranty. I HAVE used the Valvoline CVT fluid in my Suzuki which has the JATCO trans. It works well in that application.

When servicing a transmission err on the side of caution. Taking chances is a fool's game.

manufacturers all want your $$$ hence use only my $$$$$$ branded fluids!! that said using OE can be safer for warranties!

manufacturers all want your $$$ hence use only my $$$$$$ branded fluids!! that said using OE can be safer for warranties!
Yup they like to scare their customers with a bunch of maybe ... and if ...and but .... anyway I will use what respect their specification but not their overprice fluid. if something goes wrong Im prepared to fight. Being retired gives me a lots of time on my hands to have fun in courts if I need to . Having another car in the meantime will not be a problem :)

You see in the manual they say : Use only Mitsubishi Motors genuine CVTF J4 transmission fluid .... what is genuine ? the Mitsubishi brand oil or the CVTF J4 fluid spec belonging to Mitsu only ? frickin lawyer they are confusing the poor french canadian here :)

To answer your question, yes we have in the province of Quebec something very similar to the mag.moss act. I cant tell for the other province :

Use of a particular product : Does the manufacturer require you to use a specific brand name product for maintenance service?
He has the right to do so under one of these conditions: maintenance service is free; the manufacturer can prove that the automobile cannot function normally without the use of this product;

So Ill take my chance and use whatever I want , I always try to not live in fear created by others :)

Back