When to replace mower deck?

I didn't use this riding mower much until this year, now I have a half-acre field that seems to take about 45 minutes with the riding mower--versus 5 hours last time I used the push mower. [Bag would fill up every 2 minutes, and I don't know if it will run in a mulching mode. Maybe it'd take less time now.] Several years ago I was using this riding mower when there was a bang and it spat out part of the deck (pretty much everything around the discharge area). Seems to mow ok but I've always wondered since. Now I see pinholes elsewhere in the deck. Is it time to condemn? I've been running over poison ivy with it, and having poison ivy rashes on my neck, so I'm thinking, there may be some correlation there.

I kinda want something with wheels on the deck so it will float better over uneven ground, or maybe get one of those self-propelled mowers, after all it's only an acre or 1.5 of mowing total that I have to do. [I do like having a bagger as it picks up some of the pine needles, and does wonders in the fall.] But I can't justify getting rid of a running mower either...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'd wait until fall and find a good used rider. I sold my old rider in the spring for 250 bucks and there wasn't anything wrong with it. I got a 36" Wright Stander, is the only reason I got rid of it.
A new stamped deck for most mowers is usually around 300 bucks, then you have shipping. You can most likely find a decent used machine for less.

I figured I'd either shop CL, or wait until this fall to see if there was a sale at HD or Lowes. Not really wanting to buy new but if I can get 10+ years then maybe new isn't so bad. But used of course is cheaper!

Probably with buying used is determining if it's any good (or not). Are parts cheap and available? is it worth fixing if it breaks? New stuff is often called junk but with care might give a decade plus of service. So what is one to do?

Trying for now to determine how unsafe this thing is before condemning. It's end of life for sure, but if it's running next summer then I know what the temptation will be. I thought it dead a couple of times over the last few years but then it'll fix up easy. [1995 or so Toro Wheelhorse 10-38 for the record. I've had it for 10+ years now, but it's been pretty lightly used all its life.]

Good luck with finding a replacement deck for that mower. You would be better off finding a good used 48" Husqvarna lawn tractor. When mowing that 1/2 acre field, side discharge the clippings and rinse the underside of your deck after each use.

True. Didn't state it but I really don't have an intention of replacing the deck on a 25 year old machine. Look more for a good justification to replace the whole thing.

Buy used or repair responses because after all, we are living in Cuba. And the old stuff is like a 94' Camry while the new stuff is like a 2002 Jetta is a joke. Plenty of older stuff was garbage when new.
If you plan on living there for a minute, spend the money on something decent. I wonder how the belt driven turbo bagger works. The guy in the video could be a member here?

Heh, that's worth more than 3 of my vehicles. Might be worth more than the 3 put together with all those attachments! Nice looking machine though.

if you are handy at all maybe a used deere x300 series or some other mower worth repairing vs trashing.

It's getting there. I'd say run it the season and either repair or replace. If it were mine, I would probably zap some steel to the deck.

I'll keep my eyes open. We're heading up North riding ATV's next week and there are probably hundreds of mowers on the side of road between W.Mass and N.NH.

I'm just not going to read any replies for this.

No, your deck matters nothing. Until it falls off and drags, then it's a problem. unless YOU are trying to bag it and it's so swiss-cheese that you aren't getting enough flow into the bagger.

You wrote something about float and wheels, and okay then, if you need to do that, make it happen.

You make no sense to me. If you are getting poison ivy rash, watch what you are you doing??????

If you want to patch your deck from welding it, do that.
If you want to buy a new deck, or a new mower, do that.

Otherwise, I don't see the problem. Every machine is a sum of the parts and you decide when that sum is too worn out to replace parts instead of the whole thing. Deck holes, is not that threshold, but could be if you don't do anything to stop them from spreading.

I agree with the above comment. I don't see how holes would allow poison ivy rashes. Now if you're blowing grass clippings into the wind or something of the sort, I can see that causing the issue. Poison ivy causes it's issues from the oils of the plant. Not so much the pollen. A cool/ lukewarm shower and some good degreaser dish soap after mowing would help.

I see no reason to replace anything at this time although now would be a better time to look for a replacement than when you actually need it.

Last edited:
Ok, sounds like it's not unsafe. Will run to its natural death. And keep my eyes open for the next one, but without any sense of urgency.

As for poison ivy, I was concerned about the extra holes in the deck. The stuff grows like a weed and it's hard not to run over when it grows in the middle of the field. I probably got my last rash from using weedwacker, but I've had little bumps here and there that make me think it's been an issue all summer. I have to figure, when it hits a fast moving blade, it's getting pulverized and perhaps aerated, and thus getting air born. Maybe tape over the holes but perhaps the least of my worries.

Can't kill the stuff fast enough. It's a new to us property so as summer drags along it's just continuing to grow and expand, and we're spraying the heck out of it.

Originally Posted by supton
Ok, sounds like it's not unsafe. Will run to its natural death. And keep my eyes open for the next one, but without any sense of urgency.

As for poison ivy, I was concerned about the extra holes in the deck. The stuff grows like a weed and it's hard not to run over when it grows in the middle of the field. I probably got my last rash from using weedwacker, but I've had little bumps here and there that make me think it's been an issue all summer. I have to figure, when it hits a fast moving blade, it's getting pulverized and perhaps aerated, and thus getting air born. Maybe tape over the holes but perhaps the least of my worries.

Can't kill the stuff fast enough. It's a new to us property so as summer drags along it's just continuing to grow and expand, and we're spraying the heck out of it.

No problem whatsoever. The deck creates a vacuum. Only air going through the holes is going in.

The whole trick with used OPE is if you're spending more time fixing it than using it, then its time to start looking

If it wasn't this darned pandemic I'd be first building a new shed and then thinking about if I could justify a new mower. I suspect it would last longer if I kept it out of the rain. I've actually only had a few issues with this mower, first it lost its brake and then it lost its brake (first time the rod would not stay connected, second time the brake shoe rusted up and wouldn't work). One fuel line and maybe one oil change... it was a hand-me-down and owes me nothing by now. My grandmother inlaw got her monies worth and then some.

I've been waiting for it to die, but it seems flathead B&S motors are shockingly long lived...

My Husqvarna goes through steering gear but not mower decks.
My new to me Craftsman 42" LT 1750 is a 927 model. Makes it a Husqavarna, not an AYP. The steering is firm. The last couple seasons the steering on the Inty needed a 1/4 turn on the wheel before the wheels would move. Thats a lotts lash. 😃

Supton. poison ivy is the only plant I use Roundup on. Whatever you do , DON"T BURN IT!

Hit a bump last weekend and the outlet shoot fell off. Bit scary to finish the yard with that spinning next to me, so it's parked until I get around to doing something (or just replace with the other mower I just got).

mower2.PNG

Back