When to replace mower deck?

Hit a bump last weekend and the outlet shoot fell off. Bit scary to finish the yard with that spinning next to me, so it's parked until I get around to doing something (or just replace with the other mower I just got).

View attachment 29308
Yikes!!! I would not want that spinning open net to my foot!!

If you have good metal, yo can weld up a cover, with some angle steel for support.

But I'm betting the further you go toward the center of the deck, the worse the rust rot is, so probably nothing decent to weld onto.

I forget if I moved my foot to the other side, but I know I sure was leaning the other way! I only had a few minutes left of mowing, so I finished that, and at this point in the season, I might not need to mow again.

I learned the hard way to never mow poison ivy with a lawn boy with hot under deck muffler. Also have to wear gloves to sharpen blades and clean exhaust ports.
Rod

Whatcha get? I was gifted a Craftsman/ Husqavarna that sat for 15 yrs after minimal use. My SIL was gifted it from his Grandfather. He got it going, but gave up on it when it died. It is a fixer-upper. So far, I've done very little to the engine, but I've replaced every rotating part on the 42'' deck. The stamped 42'' is very common and after mkt parts are cheap. Everything but the oil filter for the Kohler CV 491cc one lunger. :rolleyes:
Please post further progress.

Last edited:
The deck worries me if it grabs a rock and looks to score a home run against something breakable or breathing. I’d be at least cautious about projectiles to rider or others nearby. It looks like you’ve gotten good use of it, and it probably doesn’t owe you anything at this point.

I don't have a welder, but I have the stuff around to re-attach the chute.. Any metal easy to work and poke a 1/4"hole in and 4 1/4 bolts,etc..

Whatcha get?
I picked up a Yardman 13357 (1989 vintage?) off CL. 13hp, 32", bagger, not a hydrostatic. Well worn. ;) We'll see if it makes it through winter and is useful next year, I think the engine may be knackered (along with the rest of it) but maybe I can piece the two together.

^^^ supton this makes me smile. I admire your spirit. Have at it!
I wish I shared that opinion! So far I'm afraid to ask the wife what she thinks--she came home to see this new acquisition ... on fire. She dutifully went to the garage and got the extinguisher, and waited while I hosed things down with a garden hose, all the while looking as if this was a normal occurrence.

[It had flooded overnight so badly it was hydrolocked. So I removed the plug and hit the starter. I guess the sparkplug wire was close enough to metal--poof! Let's just say I didn't want to work on anything else that weekend. This after I oiled down the driveway on a routine oil change. It's getting to the point where I'm wondering if my next trip to the garage will be a contender for Vice Grip Garage level of wizardry.]

That’s how I lost a 73 microbus. Hydrolocked while parked overheated on my steep street. Got the gas out and didn’t consider the gallon of fuel which seeped into the muffler. Serious car-b-que. it was awful. I had the engine lid open and the whoosh of flames got my hair, shirt, and nylon soccer shorts. My intoxicated neighbor argued with his wife about calling the FD vs just getting the fire extinguisher. It was a goner. Loved that van. I think I was 17? Paid $5 for it, spent a summer getting it to run (barely) and then watched it sadly burn.

im not sure I find this endearing, scary, or hilarious: “all the while looking as if this was a normal occurrence.” That’s awesome.

its common on gravity fed (gas tank usually under hood)cheap riding mowers.
the shut off solenoid fails then gas gradually overflows in carb and fills up crankcase.

you cant see it on dipstick because its not mixed with oil and is clear.

Then when u start engine it blows or it sucks in a bunch of oil and shoots it out exhaust.

a $3 fuel shut off valve inline (under the gas tank) will fix it pretty good.

Literally everyone of my extended family with one of those sub $2000 riding mowers had the issue.

Back