When to add fuel additives

I read Techron works on cleaning fuel injector nozzles upon shutdown. Therefore, adding it before a stint of local driving is what I do.
I cannot remember the source of this info.

RELATED ANECDOTE: My friend's '97 F-150 4.6l had a minor hiccough which I could NOT for the life of me hear.
I gave him a 20 oz. bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus for his birthday.
He claims the engine has smoothed out.
I haven't been near the truck lately so I can't comment.

I recall seeing something from Chevron on that subject some years ago, but I can no longer find it. Anyway, the message was that Techron is most effective when used in day to day driving because that allows greater soak time.
^^This^^ !

I agree that it's better to use fuel additives/cleaners when expecting several shorter trips vs. one huge highway run to burn the tank of treated fuel. But I also wonder about the effect of reduced fuel economy during several cold starts (more open loop operation) vs the maximum fuel efficiency scenario of a long highway run. Probably doesn't matter much either way... I would choose the several short trips scenario if I had to choose when to run a fuel cleaner/additive.

I add the Stabil 360 at every fill up. I have found it lengthens the time between throttle body cleaning intervals. Cheap insurance to keep my bike in top running condition.

I'll be adding a can of B12 to my Wrangler this week. It will see normal driving [10-100 mile trips, with shut off soak time, no extended runs] between now and when I change the oil. I have 500 miles before an oil change is due. That should give me at the very least one tankful with nothing but fresh gas before I change the oil. I like to add FI cleaners at least one or two tanks before an oil change.

Last edited:
Before each oil change so 5-7K typically/3-4x a year. Liquimoly Jectron. Just dump it and drive normally....here I'd do it on my trip for sure.

I have never seen the effects of any additive show up in a UOA including running E85. What is supposed to happen?

Gumout did their last test on their one-n-done product doing a full highway drive, no stops, no turn offs.
My car barely comes up to temp on my short drive to work.
I try to use the additives in our cars when we go for long drives. Full temp operation seems better to me - - but that depends on your daily commute.

Back