What's your favourite rifle?

Good grief is right. Now the re-elected Liberal government is talking about prohibiting all semi-auto rifles and shotguns, in addition cities may ban handguns altogether to eliminate gun crime. A proposed buy-back program that would cost millions is on the table. I guess my new in box O&U Beretta 686E 12 gauge would be considered a 2 shot semi-auto subject to the buy-back. I'll settle for $5,000.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Good grief is right. Now the re-elected Liberal government is talking about prohibiting all semi-auto rifles and shotguns, in addition cities may ban handguns altogether to eliminate gun crime. A proposed buy-back program that would cost millions is on the table. I guess my new in box O&U Beretta 686E 12 gauge would be considered a 2 shot semi-auto subject to the buy-back. I'll settle for $5,000.
Which is utterly ridiculous, and will cost billions, experience massive amounts of non-compliance and be repealed when there is a change of government, just like the useless long gun registry. It will also have absolutely zero impact on what needs to be curbed, which is gang violence in the GTA. This is nothing but an epic virtue signal by a gaggle of idiots who wouldn't know an effective solution if it punched them in the face.

4WD

Originally Posted by Marco620
Marlin level action 45-70.
Still have my first .,, Marlin 30-30 lever action

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by Marco620
Marlin level action 45-70.
Still have my first .,, Marlin 30-30 lever action
I always wanted a lever-action 30-30. Wish I could find my departed brother' in-law's Winchester Model 94 from 1967, purchased when the riots broke-out in Detroit. Someone in my family has it and isn't fessing-up to being the new owner.

4WD

My BiL has an old Winchester still in the box … it was old but mint when he got it many years back (when his dad passed.) Unfortunately he knows what it's worth … and generally our deals go in his favor anyway ...¬

My favorite would be my first. A Ranger 22LR bolt action. I bought it a gun show sans magazine; shot it for several years as a single shot. Still do although I finally found a magazine that works. No blueing and I'm told the stock isn't original, but open sights on something like a 24" barrel means it's more accurate than me--I know how to aim for close shots or 100 yard shots by using Kentucky windage on it. Ironically my least favorite gun was bought at the same show, shortly thereafter, an H&R 9 shot revolver that quickly went out of time. Then I spent a small fortune to repair--only to not have it actually done right. It lives in the bottom of my safe as a lesson learned (don't buy cheap and certainly don't chase good money with bad money). In hindsight I could have bought a new Ruger Single Six for what I have in that gun, it'd still be working and it'd still have value.

M56959

Staff member
Please keep the discussion on topic. Gun control is intrinsically political. I'd much rather keep this topic open, however if I have to remove any more posts it will be locked.

Had the 700 5R Milspec (.308) out a couple of weekends ago, really enjoy shooting it too, and definitely far cheaper to shoot than the .338LM LOL [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Had the 700 5R Milspec (.308) out a couple of weekends ago, really enjoy shooting it too, and definitely far cheaper to shoot than the .338LM LOL
You need a reloader to shoot that .338. The costs come way down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt
Had the 700 5R Milspec (.308) out a couple of weekends ago, really enjoy shooting it too, and definitely far cheaper to shoot than the .338LM LOL
I do, see the Magpul thread LOL Even reloaded though, it's still more costly than box .308. They are both great rifles, and I enjoy shooting them for different reasons.

I do, see the Magpul thread LOL Even reloaded though, it's still more costly than box .308. They are both great rifles, and I enjoy shooting them for different reasons.
A quick breakdown on costs looks like: Bullet $.80(SMK) Powder $.40 Primer $.04 Not too bad if you have a supply of brass you saved. Even having to buy brass isn't too bad if you take care of it and have a bolt gun. It sure beats $3+ a trigger pull. You can also save on bullets($.40 will get you a good bullet) and powder if you want a budget short range load.

A quick breakdown on costs looks like: Bullet $.80(SMK) Powder $.40 Primer $.04 Not too bad if you have a supply of brass you saved. Even having to buy brass isn't too bad if you take care of it and have a bolt gun. It sure beats $3+ a trigger pull. You can also save on bullets($.40 will get you a good bullet) and powder if you want a budget short range load.
IIRC, running the cost for me up here, it was $1.38/round the last time I bought projectiles and powder, which is a far cry from $4/round for the cheapest box ammo I can get at the moment, which is Federal AE soft points.

Ouch with $4/rd AE. My .45-70 has never had a factory round through it. $1.50/rd was too steep. A funny note on .338s. I have a set of new Hornady match dies for .338 Norma I picked up for $10. I haven't had any luck stumbling onto a .338 Norma rifle deal yet. I do want a big .338 one day. I've heard the military is suppose to buy .338 Norma machine guns but I don't know if anything every happened. That would probably help get some rifles in that caliber into the market.