What's your favorite outboard and why ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, Suzuki made some very nice motors for sure
smile.gif

My outboard of choice would be made by Yamaha. Over decades in boat sales they always ran better, started quicker, and didn't break. A favorite of that brand would be the 150 two stroke.

Great engines but sick of them buying all the boat companies so you have no choice in motors.

Would think the effect would vary from area to area - but Yamaha/other has either bought several boat companies or cut factory deals to install their motor. IMO - that takes away much of the advantage of shopping for and selecting an outboard/boat combo. Merc has done similar via Bass Pro - but what I miss is the smaller dealers (who know so much) who once gave you two or three choices behind your back.

Currently, our little 9.9HP Honda. Starts and runs like a top every time, has just required an impeller and fluid changes. Also sips gas, a tank will last a week with fishing every day. Great little engine.

I love the old OMC evinrude and Johnson 15hp motors from 75-94. They were bulletproof, light, had a handle for carrying like a suit case. They were almost unchanged through all those years. The 9.9hp was t he same motor with a different carb. Lots of nostalgia value too.

I also like the mercury and mariner 20 and 25 tiller motors of the 90s. The shifter is on the throttle and many had electric start. My current motor on my tunnel Jon is a 20 mariner. Took me 3 years to talk a buddy into selling it to me. Highly coveted motors for river fisherman.

The old 3 cylinder 3 carb yamaha and suzuki 30s were really good motor also and light for their power output.

For now I'd say my favorite is my current motor but the old OMC motors will always have a place in my heart. 2 stoke smoke coming off the water is what heaven is gonna smell like.

Last edited:
Is there a bad 4-stroke outboard out there? They all seem awesome to me. Perhaps is just because I'm used to spitting, sputtering and smoke belching 2-strokes. We've had some real junkers over the years. Back in the 1970s my dad bought a used Scott McCulloch boat/outboard combo. It even came with a parts motor. Good thing too! Odd ball HP ratings on the OB motors IIRC. 59hp or something like that. We had constant issues with them.

We've had various Johnson and Evinrude OBs over the years. Always got decent service out of them. Merc 2-strokes seemed to be more finicky, atleast decades ago when I was more into it.

If I was buying one today I'd buy an Evinrude E-Tec. Throttle response and holes hot power is out of this world. No oil to change. Quiet and powerful. I really like them all around.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
If I was buying one today I'd buy an Evinrude E-Tec. Throttle response and holes hot power is out of this world. No oil to change. Quiet and powerful. I really like them all around.

Yeah, and 500 hour service intervals!

Quote:
My current motor on my tunnel Jon is a 20 mariner. Took me 3 years to talk a buddy into selling it to me. Highly coveted motors for river fisherman.

Many of early Mariners were made by Yamaha. If the ID plate says Japan then it's a Yamahopper.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

Are they still a 2-stroke?

eTec is 2S DI - was just out in one with buddy - the oil tank in his boat looked much like the VRO tank on one of my Rudes a few years back ...

Which 20hp engine would anyone put on a 14footer?

Or would I just need to stay with the late 90s 15evinrude. It runs fine for me. It's just a small boat for smaller water though I have taken it in big water just for kicks last year when the wind and chop wasn't too bad. I just have always known the hull was not going to start leaking due it's excellent build quality.

Just have to get around to changing out the impeller soon.

Last edited:
Funny, I've been an OMC guy like forever. I worked a boat yard that sold the things (way before BRP) and I got used to them. They made a few stinkers, and mostly really good ones.

But I always enjoyed the little Mercs. The 10HP, 15HP and 20HP from the 1970's and 1980's with the slope lower leg were fantastic motors. As reliable as the day is long, and they seemed to have more power than their nominal rating (like 10 was prolly really a 12, etc ...).

If one turns up in nice shape, I'd never pass it over. Haggle over the age a bit and grab it. Fit the right prop, and the little 20 will push your 14 footer with gusto
smile.gif

All the parts you could ever need are on eBay pretty cheap
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Is there a bad 4-stroke outboard out there? They all seem awesome to me. Perhaps is just because I'm used to ...

I think I can say without a doubt that the Honda BF50 is a dog. Noisy because of the intermediate gear needed to reverse the engine's output to make it a right hand prop user. Heavy and sluggish for it's rating (it's the same displacement as the 40 ...). Really well made and not hard to work on, but it should have never been rated as a 50. The BF40 and BF50 should have been rated 35 and 45 more likely.

I've been told by Bill at Outboard Marine in Sausalito that 1.) he won't sell one to a customer 'cause he knows they'll be unhappy; and 2.) they get traded in all the time for anything else that's slightly more powerful. And the re-power customers are always happier. I know I could not find a taker among all the SF Bay Area and Delta dealers for a trade-in on another motor. I checked all the way to Reno ...

Any Johnsarude or Merc 50 will eat it alive on the water. If measured by fuel consumption, the Honda wins. If measured by go and smoothness, no contest
frown.gif

I sold mine to fellow who will put it on a 16 foot aluminum lake fishing boat. It'll be OK there. But anything bigger, or heavier and it's out of it's class ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
Which 20hp engine would anyone put on a 14footer?

Or would I just need to stay with the late 90s 15evinrude. It runs fine for me. It's just a small boat for smaller water though I have taken it in big water just for kicks last year when the wind and chop wasn't too bad. I just have always known the hull was not going to start leaking due it's excellent build quality.

Just have to get around to changing out the impeller soon.

Mercury 20hp 4 stroke is a nice outboard. Its a rebadged engine. My Dad owned one. Great outboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back