Ok, I'm not a chemist so layman's please;

Castrol Edge 5w-30
Castrol Edge HM 5w-30
Castrol Edge EP 5w-30
Castrol Magnatec 5w-30

Cheapest is Magnatec at $21.44
Most expensive is EP at $24.48
Walmart prices

Can there really be much differences between these oil at "basically" the same price?

I have a 18 F150 3.5L and usually use Edge 0w-40, but I just want to switch it up, and actually use the weight Ford recommends. But 4 different 5w-30 weights, and thats just in Castrol brands...

I know Magantec has good UOA's but is it any different than regular Edge? At $1 difference, can it be?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Srt20
I know Magantec has good UOA's but is it any different than regular Edge? At $1 difference, can it be?
Apparently the intelligent molecules are cheaper than the dumb ones.
smile.gif

How about Mobil 1 ... EIGHT 5w30 synthetics. Anyone else think this is getting a little crazy ?

5w30 M1 regular.

5w30 AP.

5w30 EP.

5w30 ESP.

5w30 HM.

5w30 EP/HM.

5w30 Truck and SUV.

5w30 Super Synthetic.

I have ESP on my Television for when I am in the mood to hear my programming in Espanol.

I am too curious if there is much difference between Castrol Edge and Magnatec. I never used Castrol but I might try Castrol Magnatec on a noisy Toyota Venza and see if the intelligent molecules quite down the engine noise some.

Since nobody really answered the question:

Edge is the premium product, for normal length intervals (about 7-10k)
Edge HM is the same idea but for vehicles with more than 75k
Edge EP is for people that want to run even longer OCI's (10k+)
Magnatec is still good oil but a step down from Edge. Likely has less Ti additive and not as good base oil.

Originally Posted by Srt20
Ok, I'm not a chemist so layman's please;

Castrol Edge 5w-30
Castrol Edge HM 5w-30
Castrol Edge EP 5w-30
Castrol Magnatec 5w-30

Cheapest is Magnatec at $21.44
Most expensive is EP at $24.48
Walmart prices

Can there really be much differences between these oil at "basically" the same price?

I have a 18 F150 3.5L and usually use Edge 0w-40, but I just want to switch it up, and actually use the weight Ford recommends. But 4 different 5w-30 weights, and thats just in Castrol brands...

I'd say awesome truck but dont get caught up. Edge 0-40 5k with that engine and your solid. You want a 5-30 go for it...Mobil Pennzoil Castrol all will do the same. I'm a Mobil guy so that's my route but I know my cars sure cant tell the difference.

stick with your research one time and see what happens ... Magnatec.
Can always go back to Edge if needed.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Since nobody really answered the question:

Edge is the premium product, for normal length intervals (about 7-10k)
Edge HM is the same idea but for vehicles with more than 75k
Edge EP is for people that want to run even longer OCI's (10k+)
Magnatec is still good oil but a step down from Edge. Likely has less Ti additive and not as good base oil.

Is Magnatec better at quieting engine noise vs Edge since it has intelligent molecules or do you think Edge has that as well along with other additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back