What's in your grease gun???

My grease gun finally ran out. When I pulled the tube, I discovered that (for the last few years) I've been using Slick 50 "1" Grease. Supposed to be the "1" grease for everything. It's sorta a green color.

So, in goes a tube of red Mystic JT-6 high-temp.
Just some grease that was given to me . Use it on my press .

Valvoline Multi-Purpose NLGI #2 GC-LB Lithium Complex EP

I stick with lithium complex as it the closest to a universally compatible grease with the exception of polyurea based greases.

Mobil red synthetic. Leaks constantly. Can't wait to finish it so I can put in the Lucas Red.
QUOTED FOR TRUTH.. hated that grease.. made a mess everywhere.. like NO OTHER.

I'm not saying its a bad grease.. but extremely messy

Last edited:
I used the Lucas red & tacky and doesn’t seem to separate too bad. I guess I’m accustomed to a grease gun being a little oily. I keep mine in and extra drain pan. It cleans right off with a gojo wipe.

Anybody else's red n tacky get thin n runny after a while? It also turns black and VERY thin in u joints.

Anybody else's red n tacky get thin n runny after a while? It also turns black and VERY thin in u joints.

Not mine. It’s been in my gun for over a year. Still seems to be the same consistency. Just grease the spindles on the mower and the wheel bearings on the camper. Old grease from the wheel bearings was purple (normal in my experience) and about the same consistency as the new grease. Im guessing about 2,500 miles on the grease.

Yes I have had multiple tubes of Red N Tacky leak bad out of the guns and whatever I grease doesn't seem to hold the grease long. I have had much better results out of Wolfs Head Red, Kendall Super Blu, and Chevron Delo EP. Years ago I use to use Pennzoil 707L and I was always happy with it and John Deere HD Moly. I have been disappointed with the Red N Tacky.

Last edited:
Back