Whatever happened to..... (Grease remover)

Goop® hand cleaner? Used to have a good supply at Wally World. Can't find it anymore. Maybe this Purple Power stuff is the replacement (it's actually not purple). Looks to be made up of the complex paraffins that Goop® probably used, plus some added fragrance. Since Goop® was actively promoted for grease/oil soaked laundry stains, would the purple power stuff be somewhat equivalent for soiled work pants and shirts?

PXL_20220628_045751646~2.jpg

*couldn't see a thread for cleaning products, so I thought I'd post in the grease forum.

People likely purchased GoJo or one of the orange scented cleaners more than they purchased Goop. I stopped using Goop many years ago because of the lanolin causing the skin on my hands to break out in tiny fluid filled bumps - a form of contact dermatitis. I do not get this reaction with the orange scented hand cleaners.

Try Dawn Powerwash. It's one of the best grease removers out there. I always keep a bottle by the kitchen sink. I spray it on my hands, and it removes oil and grease quickly.

It will also take oil and grease stains out of most fabric. (If it's heavy it may take a couple of applications before you wash). Even though it's meant for dishes. The little bit you get on the fabric stain won't oversuds a H.E. washer.

As I recall, GOOP products tended to separate. You got a blob of white in a bath of brown liquid.
You could churn it up and it'd work OK but not as well as when new.
My recollection is that the active ingredient was denatured alcohol in all the hand cleaners.

Re the laundry question: Try in an inconspicuous spot first. Personally, I'd use a clear product like Purple Power (jug) or Dawn (as stated) or even a paste made from your favorite powder cleaner.

The waterless hand cleaners, including Goop, work better when worked to clean the hands than rinsed off with water. Read Section 3 of the Goop SDS. It contains a very light oil or odorless kerosine and an ethoxylated alcohol emulsifier. This makes it rinse easily with water. They often contain something to condition skin because they can be harsh. In the case of Goop these are a fatty acid and glycerin. The may also contain some d'limonene to give the citrus smell. It's also a good solvent.

Waterless hand cleaners do clean clothes but I found the best to remove grease and oil including heavy stuff like dragline cam compound is engine degreaser. Soak the spot. Run the item through a wash cycle and check to see if the stain is gone before drying. Drying sets the stain. If the stain is still there repeat the degreaser treatment.

The best hand cleaner I ever used was the unlabeled, ~1/2 gallon can of hand cleaner (no abrasives) the waste oil guy would give my father after sucking up the waste oil out the 55-gal drum. This was back in the day when they drove the tanker truck over and gave you free stuff.

Now I use Gojo Orange which is kind of meh. I find that generic Softsoap hand soap works better.

The nastiest cleaner was this 1-gal StaLube can (circa 1960's) that mounted upside down on a wall mounted pump. I think contained ammonia. Get a good whiff and you'd pass out.

The absolute best hand cleaner I've ever used is called Dab A Do hand cleaner, I've never had anything come close to its performance, and I've used tons of brands at the various industrial jobs I've worked. It mostly only available in the south since they're out of louisiana, not sure about ordering online. I bought a 1 gallon jug before I moved. They have it scented in Orange, Cherry, Grape, and Banana

DAB-A-DO_16_0Z_HAND_CLEANER_03051_2__44757.jpg

Back