What Year Did you Start Using Synthetic Motor Oil?

Thank you!I ll try hard.
It seens that Total oils will be more expensive in USA,but in China its cheaper than M1,PP and EDGE.And it works fine in my machine.I think its a better choice for me.haha

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: eagle23
1978. Mobil had already released their Mobil 1, but I just couldn't get there using a 20W-20 (the only weight available then, as I recall).

It was 5W-20 but as Shannow has shown the HTHS was higher than the 5W-20 oils of today.

Thanks for the correction. I couldn't recall the lower number, just that it was a very skinny oil 40 years ago, esp. in hot summers
grin.gif
. Still is to some folks, though since proven to be good stuff.

I tried Castrol Syntec in my 87 Olds Trofeo (around 1996). I went back to GTX because I was a cheapskate.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I tried Castrol Syntec in my 87 Olds Trofeo (around 1996). I went back to GTX because I was a cheapskate.

I remain a cheapskate. 2018.

And unconvinced.

Last edited:
1976-77... I didn't think you were that far up there demarpaint
lol.gif

I started in 2000. Havoline full synthetic for $2.99 a quart.

2013, PPPP in my 2012 Ram 5.7L. Rebate of $4/ 5qts at that time on a 5 qt jug that cost under $23 at Meijer and WM made it a no-brainer.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
1976-77... I didn't think you were that far up there demarpaint
lol.gif

I started in 2000. Havoline full synthetic for $2.99 a quart.

Yep, I'm up there.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: zhang
Thank you!I ll try hard.
It seens that Total oils will be more expensive in USA,but in China its cheaper than M1,PP and EDGE.And it works fine in my machine.I think its a better choice for me.haha

Total is a well respected global brand, they're not much of a factor in the US but their oils should be perfect for you if they are more economical in China.
Happy driving!

I believe it was around 2002. I had a 99 Toyota Tacoma. I had been changing with Conventional since I first owned it. Castrol GTX had gone in. I bought some Mobil 1 for the first time to change the oil with. Realized after several changes that I could do the change cheaper with some ST and get the same results.

Application dependent. Desert bike's got Motul 300V in the 1990's. 2-strokes started getting synthetics blended in in the 1980's. Big lazy USA V-8's are still mostly on dino.

New (to me) truck gets M1 'cause it's the only one that does not make start-up noise on that diet, and I have it in stock because I'll always try it at least once ... It'll stay M1 until it does
smile.gif

Can't remember the exact year but it was before the Castrol/Mobil court thing. The oil was Syntec 5w50 and I'll never forget the way it smelled.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Application dependent. Desert bike's got Motul 300V in the 1990's. 2-strokes started getting synthetics blended in in the 1980's. Big lazy USA V-8's are still mostly on dino.

New (to me) truck gets M1 'cause it's the only one that does not make start-up noise on that diet, and I have it in stock because I'll always try it at least once ... It'll stay M1 until it does
smile.gif

I thought you had the same 351W in your pickup that I have in my old E350.
I've ran some old QSTP 10W-30 in it for its first drain in my hands, which it drank. It has since seen various Valvoline syn blends in the same grade, which it doesn't drink.
It wasn't at all noisy on engine start with any of these oils even in very cold temperatures.
What are you using for the oil filter?

About 1974 approximately. when Mobil 1 was introduced. Used synthetics mostly since them but not entirely.

Back