What Year Did you Start Using Synthetic Motor Oil?

Must have been in 1987 or 1988
84 Pontiac Firebird on 2.8Lt [173 ci] V6 last of the carburated..
Definitely M1 and I remember using RL as well..

Last edited:
Started in the year 2000 with my 1992 VW Jetta TD 1.6L with PetroCanada Duron 5w40.

In the beginning I ran conventional in the summer and synthetic in the winter, but it was too much of a hassle so now I run synthetic in everything. Since 2005 I run synthetic all the time in everything.

Last edited:

Mobil 1 in my bought new 1987 Buick Grand National which I still own today.

i started with Amsoil a LONG time ago, shown at a car show. then it was the real deal, PAO + Ester but today its only made to meet a spec + likely most if not all group III base oils that sells for about $5 a qt. + thats what i mostly use, NO MORE Amsoil as they don't say what they use + will NOT answer any inquiries to that effect!!!

Never been able to work out exactly what it is, so I dunno. Don't think I have.

I THINK I might have used some on a bicycle brake cable this year. Skinny stuff (5W50) Couldn't think of any other use for it.

I suppose it might be alright on the car clutch and handbrake cables.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Mobil 1 in my bought new 1987 Buick Grand National which I still own today.

Nice!!!
I decided to buy a new GN after I had been working in Dallas out of college for about a year.
A car nut in the office had to break the news to me that they weren't being made anymore. He knew of a dealer in OK who was sitting on a couple, but I think they were looking to squeeze a lot of money out of them.
I was so shattered that I swung about 180 degrees and bought a CRX. I probably would have gone with a Mustang 5.0 except a friend of mine bought one just before then and it pretty much fell apart in no time. Didn't like any of the Chevys I drove.

For me it was on my brand new (from the dealer) 1993 Ford Explorer XLT with a 5 speed (yea nobody like sticks in mom mobile SUV's) Mobil 1 10w30. Sold the truck (still running btw) in 2007 when I got married with 250,000 on the Odo. Great truck.

I've been using synthetic chain oil marketed for motorcycle chains on bicycle chains since about 1979---and am still on the original bottle.

I've been using synthetic engine oil since the day I bought the Prius in September, 2014.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Probably around 1976 or 1977. Mobil 1 10W30 IIRC.

Nope. The only M1 was 5-20.

Started using M1 5-20 in 1978 in a 1978 Dodge Slant 6 engine and a 77 Chevy 305. I was living in Maine then and the extreme cold starts was dramatically better than the 10-40 Valvoline dino I used at the time. I went from 3k OCIs to 10K which greatly offset the cost difference. Am now a 40 year user of M1 oils.

In 1990, our then 90K or so '86 Civic Wagon got its first run of syn oil.
I had just changed the timing belt, water pump and tensioner and thought why not?
It then enjoyed a syn diet through the next 110K or so that we ran it.
Did this 76 bhp 1.5 liter four moving a 2.1 ton car really need synthetic?
Probably not, but what the heck.
The little dear never did use oil, but that may have been a product of the short drains I then gave everything along with the manual transmission helping to keep the rings free.

First synthetic was Quaker State 4x4 oil in 1995 (the one with the horses in it's TV ads). It was used in a 1992 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4x4. It was a Syn Blend, if I recall right. Was kind of expensive for a young 23 year-old kid at close to $2.00 a quart!
shocked.gif
Never had any issues with it, though.....

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Probably around 1976 or 1977. Mobil 1 10W30 IIRC.

Nope. The only M1 was 5-20.

Which is why I used "IIRC".
wink.gif
I believe their first oil was 5W20 and that came out in the US in 1974. I think 10W30 came out here around 1976 or 1977. Either way it was around 76 or 77 when I first started using it.

If you have a link to when they introduced 10W30 and then 5W30 I'd like to see it, you could be right.

Last edited:
Back