What would you pick?

I’m going to be in the market for a newer car soon. I’ve been considering a newer Ford Flex, Focus or a Fusion. I really like the Flex but in my opinion the mileage is poor for what it is. Like the look of the Focus hatchback too. This would be an occasional commuter car(closest big city is an hour away and go weekly) as well as a road trip vehicle. I like the looks of a Subaru Outback too but don’t know anything about them. Would like to stay with front wheel drive instead of AWD. Anyone have any advice as far as reliability, user serviceability, or anything at all to add?

I’d skip the Focus due to the Powershift DCT issues, though my sisters Focus has been fine so far.

Fusion wasn’t bad, a little small though. My coworker loved his, claimed to get ~40mpg but traded it for a new F150 about a month ago. I thought it road kind of rough compared to my 300 (which had the sport suspension) when we went for lunch.

Stay away from the Ford Focus. The Fusion is a good choice. However, avoid the 1.5 Ecoboost engine. Take a look at the Ford Edge and Escape. Again, avoid the 1.5 Ecoboost engine.

What kind of miles do you plan per year? Budget? Tolerance for problems? How long do you plan to own?

I'm no Ford fan but they sell piles of them, and I'd think any corner shop can fix an issue. Not sure any of their FWD's have real problems, outside of that Powershift transmission. The PTU issue affects AWD which you are avoiding--I'll note, in most areas of the country, getting the FWD instead of AWD may hurt resale farther down the line.

Bigger cars do better on long highway drives, in general.

The Fusion with a 2.5 is one of Ford's most reliable platforms. I've not seen issues with the Hybrid Fusion either but probably only have 4-5 customers that come in regularly driving them. I would avoid the Focus unless you can find a standard transmission model.

People who own a Flex tend to love them. Those who hate them usually hate the looks and never buy one.

Out of those i would want a Flex with the 3.5 eco boost. You could do a lot with a flex and gas is still cheap.

What kind of miles do you plan per year? Budget? Tolerance for problems? How long do you plan to own?

I'm no Ford fan but they sell piles of them, and I'd think any corner shop can fix an issue. Not sure any of their FWD's have real problems, outside of that Powershift transmission. The PTU issue affects AWD which you are avoiding--I'll note, in most areas of the country, getting the FWD instead of AWD may hurt resale farther down the line.

Bigger cars do better on long highway drives, in general.
Probably won’t see over 10k miles a year. Budget around 10-12k may go up to 15 for the “right” vehicle. Fair tolerance for problems as long as it’s issues I can fix. 10+ years probably. I’m aware of the PTU problems on the AWD Flex and that’s one main reason for specifying FWD

The Fusion with a 2.5 is one of Ford's most reliable platforms. I've not seen issues with the Hybrid Fusion either but probably only have 4-5 customers that come in regularly driving them. I would avoid the Focus unless you can find a standard transmission model.

People who own a Flex tend to love them. Those who hate them usually hate the looks and never buy one.
MT is the only way I’d go for a Focus

If you drive in snow during the winter get AWD. Otherwise FWD is fine. I too give a thumbs up on the Subaru. Is it time for an hybrid car yet?
My commute to work is under 5 miles and I use an 86 Chevy K20 for that so snow is not a concern. I’m not ready to go hybrid yet, mainly because I don’t know much about them in terms of repairs and I’m over an hour from any shops that could repair one.

Back