What Vehicle and Trailer to Tow Tractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a vehicle and a trailer recommendation for a total of 10K.

We have a family tractor that weighs approximately 2,300 lbs with implements. Dimensions are approximately 15' front to back (with FEL and box blade) and 5' side to side. It will need to be transported within a 75 mile radius of a few properties throughout the year.

In terms of the trailer, I was thinking a 7x16 open utility type with flip down gate. Tandem axels, 7,000 GVWR, trailer brakes, trailer weight of around 1,500 lbs.

In terms of the vehicle to tow it, I was thinking a half ton pick up would do the job. However, the thought of an SUV or Van came up too. 4WD/AWD is mandatory.

The issue is that this vehicle and trailer will be used maybe 20 times per year. The vehicle will not be a daily driver.

The used market will be utilized to find the right vehicle and trailer combination that falls within our budget of 10K.

I am open to all options.

Thank you for your time.

If you're thinking SUV, you'll want a 3/4 ton Suburban 2500 or a Ford Excursion. Pretty much any full size pickup should be able to handle it, but you'll need a brake controller on the truck (for trailer over 3000 pounds in Ohio). I personally am a fan of full-floating rear axles for heavy towing, that pretty much means 2500 HD/F-250 or 3500/F-350. An auxiliary transmission cooler, and preferably deep sump transmission pan & temp gauge are also a good idea.

If you could forgo the 4x4 you can get a lot of vehicle in the full size 3/4 or 1 ton van market.

4x4 i would look for a v10 excursion as it will be way cheaper than a diesel and your mileage will be low enough to not care at fuel economy.

2500 suburban would also be good, harder to find.
Certain tahoe yukon half tons may be equipped to tow that much safely. Depends on year and packages, some tow very low and some have high ratings.

Maybe you could a 2008 Toyota Sequoia.

For trailer maybe a standard car hauler would work and be useful for cars too.

Any V8 1/2 ton pickup will handle that load easily. Don't be enticed by the prices on '97-up F150's - they have their share of problems.

A good, honest, no-frills '95-99 Chevy K1500 would be at the top of my list. Just take care of the 4L60E.

I can always tell which of the above posters don't tow anything by their answers. Your requirements are squarely in 3/4 ton truck territory.

Yes-don't reply with 1/2 ton specs. I know what they are and also what real world is.

Originally Posted by CKN
I can always tell which of the above posters don't tow anything by their answers. Your requirements are squarely in 3/4 ton truck territory.

Yes-don't reply with 1/2 ton specs. I know what they are and also what real world is.

So it takes a truck rated at 10,000 lbs.+ to tow less than 4,000?

Originally Posted by CKN

^this^.....
01.gif

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Originally Posted by CKN

So it takes a truck rated at 10,000 lbs.+ to tow less than 4,000?

That's what I was thinking. Where does 10k come from? Your total = 3800 lbs. Any V6 1/2 ton truck or the right Ranger/Frontier/Dakota can easily handle that. Was the weight of the tractor a typo?

I think he meant 10k dollars not 10k pounds.
-- below I'm assuming you have a decent size tractor

Tractor sounds fairly small, my 25hp deere 850 with mower is about 2800.
Trailer sounds light, a decent 7x14 will probably get pretty close to 1800, 7x18-2200lb.

So 6000lb capacity in a vehicle sounds like the minimum. Probably need half ton size truck. or similar.
not sure how familiar you are with towing but a 14ft trailer is pushing it for a large size tractor with implement(s)

you might need an 18ft to get the proper tongue weight for example.
If it was to move it once or twice a year.. you could get away with less.. but considering your use.. I'd get enough capacity to be fully safe in all conditions..

Also your truck needs to have enough beef to panic stop 5000lb..
used trailers are often almost new prices.

Checking chuck's trailer in medina shows around $3000 for a sure-trac 7x14 or 3500 for a 7x18, sure-trac is a giant leap above lowes,tsc,etc carry-on trailers.

Feel free to post more details.. for more detailed suggestions.

Last edited:
I like the tandem axle utility box trailer for light tractors. They work great for other uses.

I'd be looking at an older 1-ton flatbed with duel full floating rear axle. Not for load, but for traction and other uses. Maybe skip the 4x4...

3/4 ton van would be good too. Snow country means enclosed load box is nice in winter
laugh.gif

I don't know what kind of tractor work you will be doing, but it sounds like your tractor should fit in a dump trailer. A dump trailer may come in handy if you need to move debris or dirt/rocks or other material.

If you get a 2wd truck stuck, can you use the tractor to free it?
laugh.gif

The value option would be something like a 97 F250 with the old boxy body style and small gas motor. GM and dodge have similar 60's small block tech until a little after the year 2000... old is reliable and cheap, but slow and worse on gas. Same with 4 speed automatics.

I haven't towed a trailer through mud (my presumed reason you require 4x4) and don't know if the 2nd axle would help it float over the mud better or just be another source of drag.

You don't need a 3/4 truck to tow 4k pounds, especially if you're not doing it regularly. A half-ton vehicle will certainly suffice!

Personally, I avoid Ford & Dodge in that price range. I'm very comfortable with GMT800s, so I'd probably start there. A first generation Tundra with the 4.7 would also be a good option, but it may push your budget.

I have a truck/trailer combo that would tow your tractor just fine, and I have $4200 in it. The truck is a '99 Silverado 1500. 5.3, 4.10 gears, 4x4. It has 185k miles and typical rust (rockers and cab corners), but you can't see the rust from the driver's seat! The frame is solid, as is the drivetrain. I paid $2700 for it. My trailer is a 16' steel deck, dovetail. I paid $1500 for it. It's an older (late 80s) trailer, but was stored inside by the original owner, who I purchased it from in 2015. I have a Tekonsha P3 to take care of the braking. Again, $4200 in a setup that does exactly what you're looking to do.

Originally Posted by CKN

You COULD tow it with a 1/2 ton-BUT, in GM & your price range, that means 4L60E, which means NOT towing in overdrive. The Dodge & Ford 1/2 tons may be able to handle it, but, again, 1/2 ton pickups tend to have fairly high (low numerical ratio) gearing, and don't like towing heavy & likely will have issues towing in O/D. A weight distributing hitch will also be necessary with 1/2 ton, likely not with a 1 ton. I don't really care about specs-for instance, my old C3500 6.2/4L80E/full float 4.10 14 bolt rear axle could pull a 14K gooseneck if it had to (in slow motion), but it's towing is rated lower than many modern 1/2 tons, with their not strong 10 speed transmissions, etc.

Originally Posted by CKN

Hmmm...I've been towing a Kubota 3800 w/ loader and rotary cutter on a 16' Gatormade car hauler with my dad's old 1998 K1500 5.7L V8 for several years now with no problems at all.

Maybe I'm actually dreaming and will wake up one day to find I'm still stuck in my driveway...

M927/928 5 ton extra long or M36 2 1/2 ton extra long military truck...

Great stable tow vehicle, can be had for 4-5 thousand...

Trailer - tandem axle with electric brakes...

Last edited:
My 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 has a gross combined weight rating of 13000 pounds. Truck weighs a little over 5000, so rated to tow a little under 8000. You should be fine with a similar V8 half ton pulling that tractor on a 16' tandem axle trailer which weighs about 2000 pounds.

Do yourself a favor and put the most heavy duty tires you can get on that trailer. 8 ply or more.

For the truck 6 ply or greater LT tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back