What Vehicle and Trailer to Tow Tractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kkreit01
Originally Posted by Alex_V
Originally Posted by CKN
I can always tell which of the above posters don't tow anything by their answers. Your requirements are squarely in 3/4 ton truck territory.

Yes-don't reply with 1/2 ton specs. I know what they are and also what real world is.

So it takes a truck rated at 10,000 lbs.+ to tow less than 4,000?

That's what I was thinking. Where does 10k come from? Your total = 3800 lbs. Any V6 1/2 ton truck or the right Ranger/Frontier/Dakota can easily handle that. Was the weight of the tractor a typo?

10k is the total budget to purchase the vehicle and trailer. My bad, I should've posted $10,000 in the original post.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Are you sure that the tractor only weighs 2500 lbs? Seems pretty light as my case weighs 3800 with no implement's.

Tractor is a Kubota B2650 (no cab) and the manufacturer specs it at just under 1,800 lbs. The FEL is about 500 lbs so I guess around 2,300 lbs. Some implements are around 500 lbs so the weight could be around the 2,800 - 3,000 lbs range.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
M927/928 5 ton extra long or M36 2 1/2 ton extra long military truck...

Great stable tow vehicle, can be had for 4-5 thousand...

Trailer - tandem axle with electric brakes...

Heck, with a 16-foot bed on deuce-and-a-half, you don't even need the trailer. Just a long ramp or a good embankment at all locations for loading.

The kicker would be the top speed. Hope you don't have to go on the interstate.

The 95 GMC in my sig has been towing a 30 foot travel trailer occasionally since 1998. When my son gave it to me 3 years ago we had trans rebuilt due to age and miles.
the nay sayers worry too much IMHO.

Originally Posted by Carbon12
My 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 has a gross combined weight rating of 13000 pounds. Truck weighs a little over 5000, so rated to tow a little under 8000. You should be fine with a similar V8 half ton pulling that tractor on a 16' tandem axle trailer which weighs about 2000 pounds.

Do yourself a favor and put the most heavy duty tires you can get on that trailer. 8 ply or more.

For the truck 6 ply or greater LT tires.

What is that pesky payload number located on the yellow and white sticker on your driver's door jam?

Like what rear end and minor details

11353D9D-1DE4-4BBE-85DA-958436DFC3FB.png

4,000 pounds isn't a lot. That's less than a sedan on a car hauler trailer.

I've pulled 5k pounds with my grandparent's 02 Trailblazer and it did fine.

88-98 K1500 Chevy or GMC pickup will do fine. Probably want a 5.7L though.

I'd get a new trailer though. Used ones are beat and overpriced. If you do your research you can find a good deal.

Yeah... people ain't reading what the OP wrote before they start typing.

I've driven or been passenger with a LOT of loads towed by Chevy full-size trucks from 1967 to 2007 vintage. Not much Ford or Dodge - mostly just worked on them - but numbers is numbers and the big three are all pretty competitive.

I've just seen a lot of "heritage body" Fords with really petty and premature electrical/body issues and parts can be less than easy to get ahold of. Chevies have their own weaknesses in those areas, but most parts houses are likely to have every door latch and even some climate control and window switches for any '95-07 Chevy truck, in-stock. Not so much for F150's or, I think, Dodges. It sounds like this vehicle isn't gonna get a lot of miles put on it and will spend periods sitting unused, so big, bad, and modern may not pay off in contrast to simple, and cheap/easy to fix. Also the 5.4 2V may not be inherently flawed, but they still have exh. manifold issues and are a PIA to work on compared to the Chevy V8's. (You can just about have a 350 or LS pulled out of the truck in the time it'll take you to do plugs and valve cover gaskets on a 5.4.)

The load the OP is talking about towing is nothing. As others have said, something like a Trailblazer or Astro van could (and is rated to) handle it if you know what you're doing. You should find a nice, probably new or nearly new trailer for $2500, and a truck for

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Alex_V
\
The load the OP is talking about towing is nothing. As others have said, something like a Trailblazer or Astro van could (and is rated to) handle it if you know what you're doing. You should find a nice, probably new or nearly new trailer for $2500, and a truck for div>

Trailer brakes could be a legal requirement.

I still think you might want a bigger trailer.. hard to get the tongue weight right when you have to park the heavy front of the tractor as far forward as you can to get fit everything.

you really dont want 600lb tongue weight on most tow vehicles.. you need a foot or 2 for adjustment.

also to save 800$ on the trailer going used... then spend 400 on tires and 300 redoing brakes..... is counterproductive

As mentioned for tow vehicles even a 2014-20 jeep cherokee is rated for 4500# with the right options.(v6, tow or trailhawk pkg etc.)

but that wouldnt be a good tow vehicle unless you already had it.. could make it work.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Carbon12
My 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 has a gross combined weight rating of 13000 pounds. Truck weighs a little over 5000, so rated to tow a little under 8000. You should be fine with a similar V8 half ton pulling that tractor on a 16' tandem axle trailer which weighs about 2000 pounds.

Do yourself a favor and put the most heavy duty tires you can get on that trailer. 8 ply or more.

For the truck 6 ply or greater LT tires.

What is that pesky payload number located on the yellow and white sticker on your driver's door jam?

Yes Mr 3/4 ton, 10-15% tongue weight of 8000 lbs is still within payload capacity of the truck. Pretty simple really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back