What toolbox do you have?

I've been looking at large rolling toolboxes for a while. Trying to maximize my working space in the garage and also have all my "main" tools in one place. So the other day I pulled a plug on This bad boy. I can use it as work bench and also have all my tools ready.
Right now I have workbench made out of old bathroom vanity and tools in 40+year old craftsman box that is about to fall apart.
What do you guys use? Does workbench/toolbox works well?

I've been considering buying a tool box myself...been checking out the ones at harbor freight and craftsman at Lowes ..prices aren't bad , if you can wait both places have them on sale at times . heck I even checked craigslist but most tool boxes are just to far of a drive to be worth it

I have a 20-30 year old Craftsman. 46” or so with a newer Craftsman top. If I needed a box, I’d look no further than the US General HF boxes. Many color and size options as well as add ons like side boxes and such.

A good friend of mine is a heavy machinery diesel mechanic and has one. Loves it. Also loves that’s it’s paid for unlike his coworkers SO boxes. Lol.

I have a big Snap On. 85th anniversary or something. Ugly but it holds lots of tools. I also have a gang box called the Foreman's Helper. Holds lotsa stuff too.
If I was in the market for a big box right now, I would look hard at the HF box. That thing is pretty darn nice.

Have an old 3 part Kennedy set, very solid … but suspect they are expensive these days …

I have a husky stainless steel box I bought used a few years ago for $250.

Home Depot has some good sales once or twice a year. I think you can get a 58 inch box for under $600 for both upper and lower boxes.

Otherwise I'd be looking at the HF boxes. Plenty of options, colors and add on boxes.

Same here but mine aren't near as old as yours. You got some classics there.

Yup, classics for sure but, sorta beat up in their usage. However, they're very well made and never an issue with the tracks/sliders or loosening drawers. These were my Dad's tool boxes from when he went into business in ~1955. Dad had worked for a Plymouth dealership in the 1930s(~'37-'54) until that dealer closed which he then went self employed til he retired in '79.

Man oh man, Dad had some stories!

I started with a standard size craftsman back in the 80's.i out grew it plus the friction slides were horrible. Went to the 42' one from HF with roller drawers. I worked well but I soon out grew it.

The SnapOn guy had a KRA something that was a repo. I got it for a song as there was not much due on it.

Make sure to get roller drawers. The friction ones are rerrible.

Someone awhile ago on the Garage forum reviewed a bunch of tool boxes. He checked gauge of steel, number of rollers in each roller track and did the deep drawers have a second roller track. Probably some more item, that I cannot remember.

I have a newer wide Craftsman and a older Craftsman. Both all roller tracks. Both doing the job.

Thanks guys. My thought was to buy a box and don't worry about it for at least 20-30 years. Or more. I been looking on offer up, Craigslist and Facebook for a out 6 month already. Had some good boxes, but decided to just pull the plug and get one from home depot. It was exactly the size I wanted and almost exactly what I needed. I did consider HF US general boxes. Their ICON line is very nice, but also out of my price range.

costcolife-dec-tool-tip4.jpg

I have this exact box from Costco. Picked it up about ten years ago.

The Craftsman on the right is almost 30 years old and still works well, the one on the left I just bought last summer to get more organized but I just bought the bottom so I could use the top for a work bench but also wanted to get my little compressor of the floor.

IMG_20200716_130022154.jpg

View attachment 25123
I have this exact box from Costco. Picked it up about ten years ago.
My local Costco has them on sale right now and I almost purchased one until I opened it. The ones we have here had a swing door and when I opened it it was wobbling like it was made out of printer paper. Drawers felt better and sturdy but still did not have the weight to them. Comparing that to Husky that had more weight and reinforcement. I decided not to purchase it.
Do you have any problems with greasy finger prints on it?

My local Costco has them on sale right now and I almost purchased one until I opened it. The ones we have here had a swing door and when I opened it it was wobbling like it was made out of printer paper. Drawers felt better and sturdy but still did not have the weight to them. Comparing that to Husky that had more weight and reinforcement. I decided not to purchase it.
Do you have any problems with greasy finger prints on it?
No problems with finger prints. It wipes down real easy. I did leave a drawer open one day and my Wife ran into it.
I felt about an inch tall the rest of the day. It's been a great box. I love that it will never rust.

I've got a Craftsman lower (Made in Canada) that was purchased probably 10 years ago and it is topped with a much older Snap-On upper, probably 70's?

Back