What tool is needed to remove a hub bolt?

on my 2 civics and accord, i always used a breaker bar but the first time i did the civic i had to use an impact wrench. super easy with impact .... unstake the nut then it'll break loose

I couldn't get the axle nut off of one of my axles in my 98 K3500 chevy 4x4 truck even using a breaker bar. I took it to a guy who has usually done my front end work for years. He tried getting it off like I did and could not. He then put a long piece of pipe on the end of the breaker bar that was long enough to touch the ground and started the truck and let it go forward and that broke the nut loose.

On my odyssey, I didn't bother unstaking the nuts, just let the impact zip em off. Old axles were bad anyway, though, and the new ones came with nuts...

Originally Posted By: brages
On my odyssey, I didn't bother unstaking the nuts, just let the impact zip em off. Old axles were bad anyway, though, and the new ones came with nuts...
I usually don't bother with the stakes either. The nut is soft enough that the impact will unstake it.

As others have well stated, make sure there is no cotter key or "lock nut" or impediment to turning the nut; all you really need is the right size socket, breaker bar, cheater pipe if necessary, and the absolute resolve to win, even if it takes 1K or more of torque. I've done this by hand with the right size socket, breaker bar and 5' cheater pipe, which I bent but broke the nut loose.

The proper tool to use for removing and installing is a torque multiplier. I bought a used one that was $1200 new for $300. It has a 6:1 ratio with a torque conversion chart on it. 200ftlb on the input gives you 1200ftlb on the output. I haven't had to even use it yet, but I'm going to have to replace the front bearing on a Camry.

Last edited:
Back