what to use in '18 dodge journey 2.4 in warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
'18 dodge journey, 2.4L, in warranty, currently using dealer free oil changes; afterward I gonna do DIY oil changes in warmer weather...gonna stick with ms-6395 certified oils (QS, Pennzoil, Valvoine...conventional or synblend 5w-20 for 4.5k-5k mile oci); what oil filter would you use in this application? thanks...

Opinions will run the gamut from soup to nuts.
My advice is to do some research, choose something that's not the cheapest and not the most expensive.

Carry on with your life.
Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
For 5K intervals, use OEM, Fram EG/TG, Wix, doesn't matter. I assume that Mopar engine uses the same PH3614/Wix 51348/Puro 10241 sized filters they've been using for a while on their non-Mitsu 4-cylinders but don't quote me.

oem nomenclature escapes me...the fram nomenclature is 10060; best i remember mopar oem is 'puro-tear-alot' which is why i am asking for opinions on what to use

oem nomenclature escapes me...the fram nomenclature is 10060; best i remember mopar oem is 'puro-tear-alot' which is why i am asking for opinions on what to use; supertech claiming 10k mile filter life but no dedicated bypass valve...guess its a combo bypass/anti drain back; ac delco is similar with actual fram type bypass valve...but also the crazy offset base plates;

Wix 57060/NAPA Gold 7060 or Fram XG10060 (Overkill @ 5K OCI) will both work fine. If you are budget minded, watch for NAPA sales and stock up. Mopar OEM filters seem to go back and forth between Purolator and Wix, so maybe check one out at Wally World.

I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 in my 2.4L GEMA engine (not Tigershark). I almost always get a $10 rebate and it works well beyond 6K OCI's. This somewhat "sewing machine" noisy engine runs great on the PP.

FYI, this Dundee Michigan built engine is very reliable and oil consumption is nil. It is considered dated compared to more modern engines and doesn't put out the performance of more modern engines. I'll take reliability over performance every day.

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn
i believe mine is also the older 'world' engine with mercedes-bases vvt...lots of thermo polymer parts on top;

It's the GEMA engine - which was a collaboration between Mitsu and Hyundai. I think it's now called the Tigershark by FCA.

Interestingly, the Hyundai/Mitsu engines uses a PH9688/51334 filter with M20x1.5 threads and different control systems - a GEMA variant on the Mitsu side made its way into the Lancer Evo.

If you're concerned about the warranty just use OEM parts. Whatever they say, in case of a claim it's gonna be you vs dealer and good luck trying to get some help from oil filter manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back