What to replace Kia/Hyundai SPIII with?

Originally Posted By: 04SE
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF would work for both your engines.

Whatever you do, don't put ATF in the engine
smile.gif

I tried Amsoil Universal in my wifes 2007 Elantra and didn't like it. The shifts were too slippery. My mechanic brother-in-law borrowed the car for a day and said be careful, the tranny is about to fail! Drained out the Amsoil and put SP-III back in, shifted quality was back to normal. That was at about 50K miles. When the car got close to 100K miles, and no more warranty, put in ATF+4 and that also shifts great. ATF+4 worked for me.

BTW - I always do a complete flush - pop off the AT hose and run about 12 qts. through.

Last edited:
I recall reading a thread, someone mentioned "ATF+4" is actually suitable for Kia/Hyundai's "SPIII" spec......and it's kinda ironic, cause the "ATF+4" (which is actually licensed by Chrysler....) states right on the bottle suitable for Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Kia, Hyundai....

Thhhhooouuuggghhh....for those under warranty it does NOT list the "SPIII" spec on the backside
wink.gif

But, we all know by now, when it comes to trans/engines....ANY fluid/oil is better than NO fluid/oil :p

+1 for sticking with the SPIII. I have owned 3 Hyundai/Kia vehicles and always used the SPIII. My sister in law owns a 2005 Kia Rio and was recently told she needed a transmission flush. I cautioned her to either take it to the dealer to get it done or buy the SPIII and take it to her independent mechanic to install. 200 miles and a $400 tow bill later, she now has the car in the shop having the transmission flushed out and replaced with proper SPIII fluid. Not sure what fluid her mechanic used but the trans began slipping badly and she had to have the car towed over 100 miles for repairs. (we were on vacation) But she "saved" $50 over having the dealership do the flush.... I looked at alternative fluids and the price difference isn't worth the risk. SPIII is about $7 a quart here.

Eneos now makes a SPIII fluid and my local NAPA has it for $4.99 a quart. From the sound of it, the fluid is supposed to be a direct replacement and not a multi-vehicle type formula. Our local Hyundai/Kia dealers are charging around $7 a quart for the OEM stuff. I really don't know though if the Eneos fluid has any advantages over the factory stuff. I've never found any solid info on who actually makes the OEM fluid.

Hi, I picked up a 2012 Hyundai i10 tiny hatchback for my wife to use as a local beater. It requires a Hyundai specific ATF MX3 spec transmission lube. As I'm rather far from the nearest Hyundai service center, what is the nearest compatible equivalent in a more common standard like Dexron or Mercon?

I'm using MaxLife in my two cars, works great.
I did full exchange (not flush) myself on both first when Forte had 30K miles and Sportage had 20K miles, now doing D/F every 30K miles on both.

MaxLife ATF in both of my Kia transmissions. I have probably 70K on the fluid in both and notice no change in transmission behavior.

I drain/fill every 25K. It is "lifetime" fluid but I just prefer to keep the fluids clean.

Originally Posted by KevinP
MaxLife ATF in both of my Kia transmissions. I have probably 70K on the fluid in both and notice no change in transmission behavior.

I drain/fill every 25K. It is "lifetime" fluid but I just prefer to keep the fluids clean.

Do the kias have a drain? Didnt think my wifes okd Optima did

Originally Posted by Smith5361

Yes

I had a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. I did 30K miles drain/fills and always used SPIII. It was cheap enough--sometimes I could find it on ebay. I owned the car for 14 years and sold it a year or so ago with 230K miles and the transmission still shifted perfectly. SPIII may not be the greatest ATF ever made, but it worked well for me. I've also heard lots of people used Maxlife with good success. Personally, I was never tempted to deviate from the OEM fluid.

My little Kia Rio loves idemitsu hk and a splash of lubegard red. Shifts like butter. Ravenol makes a sp3 equivalent that also looks very promising.

Originally Posted by Smith5361

Sorry...been out of the loop for awhile. Yes... there is a drain. It takes no longer than changing the oil to dump/fill these transmissions and with MaxLife ATF it is inexpensive.

Originally Posted by SureshR
Hi, I picked up a 2012 Hyundai i10 tiny hatchback for my wife to use as a local beater. It requires a Hyundai specific ATF MX3 spec transmission lube. As I'm rather far from the nearest Hyundai service center, what is the nearest compatible equivalent in a more common standard like Dexron or Mercon?

Looks like a SP3 type fluid. Check this out 👇...You might also look at Castrol Transmaxx or even Ravenol. I have to say, this was a new one (MX3) for me.

Good luck...

http://cararac.com/gear_oil/hyundai/i10.html

Last edited:
Back