What oil would you consider or say is a cleaning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Marco620
Following this one. Maybe high calcium and boron?

Following that:
You must ask a boron to know a boron. And, calcium would say I'm milking this...
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
cool.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
So, we hear a lot that this or that oil cleans varnish off some areas etc. I always thought Mobil 1 was a pretty good cleaning oil and hear PUP/PP are too. What say the BITOG faithful?

PUP Adam. They even advertise it to be the best.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
So, we hear a lot that this or that oil cleans varnish off some areas etc. I always thought Mobil 1 was a pretty good cleaning oil and hear PUP/PP are too. What say the BITOG faithful?

PUP Adam. They even advertise it to be the best.

They actually say "no other synthetic keeps your engine cleaner" (bold was added by me) There is a difference between an oil that would keep your brand new engine cleaner in the long run, vs one that would be a "cleaning oil" and clean up an old engine that was already dirty inside.

Back in the day and maybe once a year on older vehicles I'd dump a half a can of Marvel mystery oil in when engine was warm and then run down to the parts store and back 15-20 minutes drive time, with new oil for a change.

Seemed to work like a sludge emema as the oil would come out surprisingly dark and opaque with particulates and with a lovely scent!
No empirical data, just felt right!

Originally Posted by noclutch
Back in the day and maybe once a year on older vehicles I'd dump a half a can of Marvel mystery oil in when engine was warm and then run down to the parts store and back 15-20 minutes drive time, with new oil for a change.

I've used MMO in the crankcase and left it in for a couple hundred miles before the oil change, it works great. Similarly, I've used Rislone's Engine Treatment with equally great results.

Aside from Restore which is an excellent oil from the chats I have had with Terry Dyson who worked on the formulation with Cummins, I'd have to say Amsoil Signature Series because it uses an Ester Base oil carrier for its fantastic detergent package. I was going to try this in a neglected Toyota of a friend but he didn't like the price.

I've seen first hand cleaning results under valve covers from vehicles that had conventional first and then Signature series second. If you do go that route I'd change the filter and oil early for the first run if using in an engine other than something that saw synthetic first at a reasonable change interval. It does a really good job cleaning things up.

Or even their Flush product that you idle in the engine for 15 minutes. It's just super concentrated detergents without solvents. I've seen this load up filters pretty good on neglected engines in the 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Pennzoil advertises 65% cleaner with PUP and 40% with PP than industrial standards, based on ILSAC GF-5 tests... They also state "keeps" cleaner and mention nothing about cleaning whats already there to begin with but Im assuming it does both just the same...?

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
Pennzoil advertises 65% cleaner with PUP and 40% with PP than industrial standards, based on ILSAC GF-5 tests... They also state "keeps" cleaner and mention nothing about cleaning whats already there to begin with but Im assuming it does both just the same...?

LOL and we all know that's true because it was verified by independent Labs. But I'm over 75 and seen to have forgot who those independents labs were any help out there?

In my experience of hundreds if not thousands of oil changes. I can always say Castrol oil seems to always consistently come out blacker than any other oil used.
I have used about every oil I could at one time or another.
Pennzoil, Quaker State, Shell, Valvoline, Mobil 1, Havoline, Super Tech and many others I used full synthetic, semi synthetic and conventional. I buy what's on sale, but I like Castrol the best because I really do think it cleans better.
I have also ran Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase, although I only added a pint, not a quart as they directed at oil change and ran it the entire 3000-5000 mile oil change before with nothing but a smoother sounding engine.
I've had new cars and my son's F150 , I had and sold him has over 270,000 and doesn't use a drop of oil between changes.
It had several MMO doses. I probably do the MMO every 5 th oil change. Just my observations.

I e-mailed Dave @ Redline concerning the cleaning abilities of 5W30 oil. I asked about cleaning deposits and piston rings. He stated that Redline will keep an engine clean. Nothing about cleaning. However; it certainly has a stout package from what is posted.

According to JAG , the Valvoline Premium Restore has a great additive package for cleaning engines, including the piston rings. Although; it's at a premium price. But, every 100,000 miles isn't bad. If it works.......

Originally Posted by Panzerman
In It had several MMO doses. I probably do the MMO every 5 th oil change. Just my observations.

ðŸ‘

There's enough empirical data for me to show that MMO in the crankcase works.

Detergents don't clean varnish and sludge. They prevent it by neutralizing acids that cause it. In order to break up varnish and sludge (chemically), you need solvents. Polyol ester makes a good solvent which is why it makes up over 60% of the base oil composition of Valvoline Premium Blue Restore.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Detergents don't clean varnish and sludge. They prevent it by neutralizing acids that cause it. In order to break up varnish and sludge (chemically), you need solvents. Polyol ester makes a good solvent which is why it makes up over 60% of the base oil composition of Valvoline Premium Blue Restore.

Interesting, I always thought MOBIL 1 stuff was good at keeping things clean. Guess I should have asked TIG1;)

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

Interesting, I always thought MOBIL 1 stuff was good at keeping things clean. Guess I should have asked TIG1;)

IIRC, M1 0w-40 is 5-7% POE. Alkylated naphthalene works similar to POE and is found some M1 oils, but I couldn't tell you which ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back