What oil would you consider or say is a cleaning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we hear a lot that this or that oil cleans varnish off some areas etc. I always thought Mobil 1 was a pretty good cleaning oil and hear PUP/PP are too. What say the BITOG faithful?

diesel specific oil like Delvac - Its loaded with detergents.

UD

B2626AA1-A152-4B4F-A232-21A32A1E7D9A.png

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
So, we hear a lot that this or that oil cleans varnish off some areas etc. I always thought Mobil 1 was a pretty good cleaning oil and hear PUP/PP are too. What say the BITOG faithful?

Mobil 1 has stated that their M1 high mileage is a cleaning oil.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

The only experience I have with this topic. My son bought a used 2008 Mustang with 80,000 miles and looking into the oil filler cap there was a noticeable brown stain on the cam gear and chain. After about 40,000 miles of PP when he sold it.
There was a reduced amount of discoloration. So yes I'd say it worked as advertised

Transmission fluid mixed with kerosene I hear will clean out the old varnish.

This is an unanswerable question in this forum unless there is a standard to measure by across products.

Some will give you marketing info, others will post personal preferences.

No one will state the ASTM and/or ISO standard and associated data by which they are comparing products.

The solution to pollution is dilution. More frequent oil changes with fresh clean oil increase the exchange rate of dirt out the drain hole.

Originally Posted by sloinker

Closer to grenade the engine.

Originally Posted by Imp4
This is an unanswerable question in this forum unless there is a standard to measure by across products.

Some will give you marketing info, others will post personal preferences.

No one will state the ASTM and/or ISO standard and associated data by which they are comparing products.

Best answer yet!

Every oil claims that it does a better job of cleaning your engine. Ever see an oil advertise that it will leave sludge & varnish?

Assuming that they all work.......then no oil will leave any sludge & varnish, and you would not need to find another oil to clean off what the last brand of oil left behind.

Only one way to find out. Get a poor condition motor from a junk yard. Find a way to measure how much sludge & varnish there is. Then run the oil in the motor for however many engine hours it takes to equal an oil change interval. Drain the oil. Measure the sludge & varnish again. See if that oil actually cleaned any of it out. You will need to repeat the experiment at least 100 times to see if you can replicate the results, or figure in the percentage. Then duplicate the experiment with different brands of oil. After which you will have enough statistical data to analyze.

I don't have the ability to perform this experiment, then repeat the experiment a few thousand times, to validate results. Any volunteers?

Originally Posted by dave1251

Don't discourage science. Let him do it. Then we'll all find out.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks

Read that with a Russian accent ...³...³...³ðŸ¤£
Sounds like a line from a foreign movie .....LOL !!!!

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by OnTheRocks

Read that with a Russian accent ...³...³...³ðŸ¤£
Sounds like a line from a foreign movie .....LOL !!!!

lol.gif
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back