What oil for a 2011 Mustang 3.7 V6?

What does the user manual say to use? That should be good enough given that all modern oils are formulated correctly and will lubricate and cool the engine as the maker has intended. No need to go beyond that, like thinking about LSPI or MOFT or HFSH and such. Any oil of specified gade and spec will work. And in most cases, the least expensive oil will still do the job. Read this article, very simple.

I have a 2012 Mustang 3.7L V6 convertible with 141k miles. I've been running High Performance Lubricants HDEO 5w-20 for the past 6k miles. I plan to pull a UOA at 10k miles.
But what oil should he use? Does he need High Performance Lubricants ?

Jiffy lube bulk oil and filters . I have seen people with 350,000 miles on their vehicles doing the oil changes that way. Most people will never benefit [ if there really is a benefit other than marketing.]from using high dollar oil and filters.

Jiffy lube bulk oil and filters . I have seen people with 350,000 miles on their vehicles doing the oil changes that way. Most people will never benefit [ if there really is a benefit other than marketing.]from using high dollar oil and filters.
Yep. The lube places all use oil that meets the engine specs, so that's all that is needed. What color bottle or flavor it is does not really matter.

Yeah I will probably do it myself.Ive done many oil changes over the years,just getting lazy in my old age lol.Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is $61.99 for 5 liters at Walmart here.Mustang takes 5.7.
That oil goes on sale all the time at canadian Tire for 50% off

I have that engine in my F-150 and I use Supertech 5W-30 and the Ford filter. It takes 6-quarts and the synthetic ST is like $14 per 5-quart jug. It cost around $20 and I follow the OLM on the dash which has me changing it around 9,500 miles. I've heard evil rumors that the water pump is a real issue on your version. Just search for it on Youtube and you will find the horror stories. On the truck version, the water pump is easy to change. The oil filter is placed poorly though as it is mounted horizontally up front and it always makes a mess when you change it. Changing the coolant is an easy job too... easiest I've ever done. The plugs are not as easy as many older engines but it is about an hour of work to pull off the intake, vacuum lines and other assorted junk to swap them. That engine runs strong though and it is simple. No turbo, no direct injection, nothing fancy other than variable valve timing. I've not noticed any difference running 5W-20 vs 5W-30 either.

Last edited:
Back