What oil do you recommend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

A friend asks you for help in selecting an oil for their car. It's a regular car, so options are easy, but they don't want a list or a fine print spec to chase, just an oil to buy. Keep it simple and help them out.

What oil do you recommend ?

I usually suggest Castrol Magnatec in the appropriate grade & spec.

It's easy to find and reasonably priced. I want it to do a good job, but not waste their money. I want them to be able to just walk in and grab it.

What oil do you recommend to friends and family who don't know oil and don't want to learn about oil?

You didnt mention a year/make/model so it is hard to say. However, I recently had a similar question with a family member. I recommended that they

1. first look at the owners manual and determine the appropriate weight and any licenses/certifications.
2. Take that information to the nearest point of sale and determine what is available (or text me the year/model/trim level for my $.02).
3. Pick any oil that meets those specifications, preferably bundled with an oil filter.

Manufacturers rebates and a flashy container (e.g. Magnatec) is a bonus!

Last edited:
M1 oils have served my engines very well since 1978. All engines have remained very clean, none have shown engine wear, not one engine has ever increased in oil consumption over the time I owned the vehicle, and some with with well over 200-350K. All at 10K OCIs.

I try not to recommend oil brand or viscosity any more. I usually say it doesn't matter as long as it has the most recent specs. If they push and ask me what I use I tell them WM oil. That's how much it matters

Pennzoil. They have probably heard of it. Sorta like comfort food. Safe, well known, great reputation, in Walmart, bright YELLOW bottle, etc.

I never recommend without asking them a few simple things about their ride and habits, like how frequently do they want to ideally change the oil, how many miles do they drive annually on avg, what have they been using, how many miles on the car, does it leak any or are they price conscious? If for whatever reason they don't want to answer those questions, I'll recommend they use one of the majors website oil selector tool. I'm not in the habit of giving advice based on half [censored] information.

Originally Posted by RyanY
You didnt mention a year/make/model so it is hard to say. However, I recently had a similar question with a family member. I recommended that they

1. first look at the owners manual and determine the appropriate weight and any licenses/certifications.
2. Take that information to the nearest point of sale and determine what is available (or text me the year/model/trim level for my $.02).
3. Pick any oil that meets those specifications, preferably bundled with an oil filter.

Manufacturers rebates and a flashy container (e.g. Magnatec) is a bonus!

01.gif

Its always changing.

for 5W30

Texaco Havoline in the 80's and 90' with the Black adn Silver Mario Andretti on the can

Then Mobil Clean 5000 in the 2000's

Used to be QS HIgher Mileage Red bottle.

then Pennzoil Bronze bottle semi-syn HIgh Mileage

Then Magnatec Semi-Syn 5W30

Now Valvoline Advanced 5W30

Tomorrow Who knows
smile.gif

I do the oil changes on several of my friends' cars. If it's a beater type car, I usually tell them to get some Supertech synthetic and a Fram Ultra. If it's a nicer car (ie the family van), I have them get whatever name brand synthetic is on sale and a Fram Ultra.

Supertech oil by the gallon and a Motorcraft filter if they change oil regularly.
Supertech or Quaker State synthetic and a Fram Ultra if they procrastinate, drive in super cold weather, or have a turbo, or hybrid..

Go to Walmart. Pick whatever bottle in your vehicle's grade that your wallet can afford.

I have them bring it to me. Everyone has their own brand and if I recommended something else it goes in one ear and out of the other. If they want I will get correct spec oil either Napa or Valvoline

Originally Posted by tiger862
I have them bring it to me. Everyone has their own brand and if I recommended something else it goes in one ear and out of the other. If they want I will get correct spec oil either Napa or Valvoline

Good thought / idea. That way there's no argument if something goes awry with an oil brand you recommended.
Let the blame fall on the vehicle owner's recommendation.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Make a quick trip to Walmart with them (after determining spec requirements).

Ask them to pick the jug/labeling they think is the best.

Say "hey, yeah that's a good one."

Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back