What is this hunk of steel on my Silverado?

I recently had almost half of my bumper ripped off in a hit and run in a parking lot. Since I carry a $1k deductible, it didn't make sense to make a claim, as the damage was just the bumper. I could replace the broken bits with stock for just under $1k, or go with aftermarket for ~$600 and change the look a bit. Since she has been relegated to tow pig and maybe now even "dog truck", I went with aftermarket...plus I got to add some cool (BRIGHT) lights - no, I won't use them on the road. Anyways...what are these pieces of steel that are welded to the frame? Guessing something to do with a snowplow, and I have seen them on other Silverado trucks before, but just looking for an official answer. I might cut them off to clean up the look if they are as useless as I suspect they are...

IMG_3060.jpg
IMG_3059.jpg

Last edited:
I think they're used to strap down the vehicle for transport. Though I've never seen them welded to the vehicle.

That sort of rust is factory issued on GMs

I can show you pics of my Nissan (way worse) or any other vehicle in our area of any brand of this age. BMW has been the only car of this age that survives Iowa winters without hard corrosion that I have experienced.

Reactions: JTK
Yeah i'm mostly joking about the rust. They all rust and GM can rust a little faster than some.

Might be worth a visit to a Chevy dealer and ask. If it’s a plow attachment or similar I wouldn’t cut them off.

Reactions: JC1
GM's name for this part is "BRACKET, U/B." I am not sure what the U/B means, but I am guessing underbody.

They are present on all GMT900 1500s, trucks and SUVs. 2500s and up do not have them. I don't think they are part of or used for any package/feature, but rather as Kestas suggested maybe for transport or possibly during production.

In any case, GM sells them separately from the frame and they are readily available (I could have them in a couple hours), so it is something that would be replaced if it was damaged in a collision. The left side is part number 23212858 and the right side is part number 23212859. I doubt they are structurally necessary, but I'd just leave them on there personally.

GM's name for this part is "BRACKET, U/B." I am not sure what the U/B means, but I am guessing underbody.

They are present on all GMT900 1500s, trucks and SUVs. 2500s and up do not have them. I don't think they are part of or used for any package/feature, but rather as Kestas suggested maybe for transport or possibly during production.

In any case, GM sells them separately from the frame and they are readily available (I could have them in a couple hours), so it is something that would be replaced if it was damaged in a collision. The left side is part number 23212858 and the right side is part number 23212859. I doubt they are structurally necessary, but I'd just leave them on there personally.

Awesome, I really appreciate the answer!!! THANK YOU!

I will say if the end result is..."just leave it because", I will be removing it ;-)

I have to admit for the first time, I kind of feel like I have stumped the BITOG crowd...no definitive answer yet ;-)

Need more photos. Possibly from a truck with a factory bumper.

Wild thought: either to make the truck more slippery (dubious) or as part of how the truck acts in a collision. Like perhaps it hooks the bumper and causes the frame to deform in that area. Seems about as dubious as my first thought.

Maybe it has multiple holes for skidplate options--does it have any holes in it, other than for mounting?

Need more photos. Possibly from a truck with a factory bumper.

Wild thought: either to make the truck more slippery (dubious) or as part of how the truck acts in a collision. Like perhaps it hooks the bumper and causes the frame to deform in that area. Seems about as dubious as my first thought.

Maybe it has multiple holes for skidplate options--does it have any holes in it, other than for mounting?

Could possibly be a stop and deform point for the factory bumper?

It sure would be nice to have a picture of it from the front so we could see a different angle... :unsure:

Back