What is the best commonly available dark beer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best dark beer that is commonly availably in the U.S.?

The best dark beer I ever tasted was at a Pappins pizza restaurant in Harrisburgh Pennsylvania in 1976. It was on tap and served in pictures. I do not know what brand it was but it was really good, and went well with pizza.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Shiner Bock goes good with 🕠pizza

Have you ever tried Shiner Black? That stuff is GOOD!!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by BeerCan
Shiner Bock goes good with 🕠pizza

Have you ever tried Shiner Black? That stuff is GOOD!!

Oh yeah. It's big Shiner fan. It's good with pizza as well ...Š

Originally Posted by JimPghPA

There is no best, it's completely subjective. People can only give their opinion.

That being said, the best dark beer is is Hofbrauhaus Dunkel.
They describe it as "An easy drinking malty dark lager with a subtle sweet finish."
At 5.5% ABV you can toss back more than a few and still not get totally sloshed....

Not a dark beer, and I'm not a beer guy, but this stuff is my favorite and goes great with any food or no food:
[Linked Image]

best for WHO!!! lots of beers + many different taste buds!!! why reply to a question like that!!

The best dark beer I ever tasted was at a Pappins pizza restaurant in Harrisburgh Pennsylvania in 1976. It was on tap and served in pictures. I do not know what brand it was but it was really good, and went well with pizza.

Reasonable guess on that would be Beck's Dark, which was the ubiquitous dark beer throughout the US in the 70s, 80s, into the 90s. Slowly faded for reasons I don't know - it was really a great beer on tap, and not bad in bottles.

Victory Storm King --- sooo smooth & delicious!! My Family & Friends all luv it as much as I do. Brewed here in Pennsylvania also.

Dark I think is relative.

Common may still be regional.

I go with Guinness, Shiner Bock, and Yuenling Lager as options of varying levels of darkness.

What sort of dark beer? Brown Ale? Porter? Stout? Bock? Dunkel?

New Castle and Guinness are dark and common, as is Modelo Negra. Yuengling Black & Tan is a favorite of mine and it's a grocery store beer. Sam Smith Brown Ale and Bombardier are traditional British brown ales.

My guess is it was Killian's Red.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
What sort of dark beer? Brown Ale? Porter? Stout? Bock? Dunkel?

New Castle and Guinness are dark and common, as is Modelo Negra. Yuengling Black & Tan is a favorite of mine and it's a grocery store beer. Sam Smith Brown Ale and Bombardier are traditional British brown ales.

Yeah, I love Yeungling Black and Tan and Murphys Irish Stout

My guess is it was Killian's Red. Not technically dark beer, but that is what you'd commonly find served in pitchers at pizza joints in those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back