What is the best commonly available dark beer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any good Milk Stout or Vanilla Porter.
Around here, Left Hand Milk Stout or Boulder Shake Chocolate Porter is best.
East coast area, who knows. Sure Guiness works well.

I used to love Beck's Dark, but I don't know if it's still commonly available.
A Guinness will work for me, but it's never been a favorite. I used to go to a pub in Ann Arbor that had a crazy selection of European beers and get stuff that was so dark and thick that I had to chew it.

Aw come on. How about Saranac Black Forrest? I know I go low brow on beer and always have but have spent plenty of time in Germany and to me it tastes as good as any I've had over there including Andechs Dunkle. About the only difference to me as it is and blessed by the church's brewery.🤗.

There's a spectrum with dark beer. German style tends to be sweeter. English style tends to be more bitter.

My favorite is Diet Doctor Pepper.
lol.gif

Hey, what about that classic , MEISTERBRAU🤢🤮... my wife's german friend came over here once and grabbed one out of the fridge and almost puked. â˜¹ï¸ Whoopsie..... of course I got a big laugh out of it. There's better beer in a plastic bottle on a german supermarket than most of what you get over here. There is hope though........ after 60+ years of putrid dishwater beers we are finally back in the game.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Dark I think is relative.

Common may still be regional.

I go with Guinness, Shiner Bock, and Yuenling Lager as options of varying levels of darkness.

+1 on the Shiner Bock!

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Yeah, I wish someone in the national beer industry could explain to me what happened about it. Beck's is still everywhere, but the dark just faded from the marketplace. It was an outstanding dark/still is.

We had a standing Weds. night drinking table at a local German restaurant in college. This was the "house dark" and even the German students declared it "ausgezeichnet!"

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Yeah, I wish someone in the national beer industry could explain to me what happened about it. Beck's is still everywhere, but the dark just faded from the marketplace. It was an outstanding dark/still is.

We had a standing Weds. night drinking table at a local German restaurant in college. This was the "house dark" and even the German students declared it "ausgezeichnet!"

Sounds like it was discontinued:

https://www.nbwa.org/content/anheus...phire-oculto-and-other-short-lived-beers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back