What happened to Mobil Super 5000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker but haven't posted in ages. In the last year or so my favorite two engine oils have all but disappeared from the shelves of every local store. Mobil super 5000 and Chevron supreme have dropped off every shelf local to me. I'm in western WA. The Chevron supreme dropping off doesn't surprise me since the havoline name seems to be taking over. But the Mobil super just disappearing almost overnight is weird. I used to get both of those oils on sale for $9.99 5 quart jug on sale at fred meyer and then get a rebate on top of it. What's going on, was super 5000 discontinued? Even mobil super high mileage and synthetic are gone.

Most likely just didn't sell well enough. Usually how all these things happen. I can't even remember the last time i saw a jug of mobil super honestly.

I saw some maybe 2 months ago at a Rural King, not sure if they have those stores in your area. It wasn't $10 but I remember it being a reasonable price, maybe $14-15.

Sometimes Formula Shell at Home Depot or Menards will go on sale for $2/quart. A good alternative to the oils you mentioned.

Plenty of MS5K at my Rural King
smile.gif

No such thing as rural king or menards on the west coast that I have seen. My alternatives since have been Quaker state high mileage when it goes on rollback at walmart and just started ordering the Havoline 6 quart box oil. Chevron supreme once in a while makes a surprise appearance at Walmart but its only a few jugs and usually 5w20, which I don't use. Never seen Havoline on the shelves here either but I suppose that'll probably change soon. Oh well. A 3 pack of the Havoline 6 quart smart change oil is a good deal with free shipping and it comes right to my house.

I've also looked at home depot for the engine oil section, never found any besides small engine oil in the OPE area.

While I won't go so far as to call them identical, Havoline SB is very similar to Supreme 5w20 & 5w30 in that they're both "blends" and if my memory serves me, had/have similar add paks, TBN's. So I doubt you're sacrificing much, if anything, by having to switch to Havoline. But yeah, CS was a great value..

Can't speak for MS5k... never seen it, never used it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Mobil Super 5000 shows up on Walmart.com .
frown.gif

Yeah, I noticed that. But the price is the same as Mobil 1 is on the shelf lol.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
While I won't go so far as to call them identical, Havoline SB is very similar to Supreme 5w20 & 5w30 in that they're both "blends" and if my memory serves me, had/have similar add paks, TBN's. So I doubt you're sacrificing much, if anything, by having to switch to Havoline. But yeah, CS was a great value..

That's what I had figured. Just order the Havoline, pretty much the same if not better than CS. Plus the 6 quart container is handy, as I have vehicles that hold 5.5 and 6 quarts.

I've been overall happy with the Quaker state high mileage as far as it slowing/stopping seeping valve covers but I did my first UOA on the 4.6 in my grand marquis and the additive levels seemed pretty low and iron wear was a bit high for the mileage. I did a short change at 2500 miles and my wear levels were about the same as universal averages at 5200. I do a lot of short trips and high idle time but still.

I have purchased it on sale at Rural King in the past but the price is not low enough to justify buying it unless they put it on sale deeply discounted.

I know I can buy them online, but the price is about twice of what it would be on the shelf in store for. So, not a viable option anymore. Not sure why they do that. For $22-25 per 5 quarts that I see both oils online for I could get a nice full synthetic if I were to pay that much.

Originally Posted by FordFETruck
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

That's what I had figured. Just order the Havoline, pretty much the same if not better than CS. Plus the 6 quart container is handy, as I have vehicles that hold 5.5 and 6 quarts.

I've been overall happy with the Quaker state high mileage as far as it slowing/stopping seeping valve covers but I did my first UOA on the 4.6 in my grand marquis and the additive levels seemed pretty low and iron wear was a bit high for the mileage. I did a short change at 2500 miles and my wear levels were about the same as universal averages at 5200. I do a lot of short trips and high idle time but still.

Short tripping and excessive idling is hard on any oil. Was there FD? Did you stay in grade over that full oci on the 4.6? I've ran QSHM many times without issues. QSHM has your typical SN/SN+ add pak and actually some high levels (comparatively) of AW additives, so dunno. But... some engines don't like some oils. Don't know why that is and have no scientific explanation for it but from personal experience I know it to be a truism, so to speak.

Last edited:
The report showed the viscosity was slightly on the thin side but very close to the minimum spec. I used 5W30, as stated on the information sticker under the hood. With an FL820S filter, which looked good when cut open. No fuel or coolant reported to dilute it. On the plus side it didn't burn or leak a drop of the stuff. My silicon levels were a little high, they told me to check for air intake leaks. Found none but I had a cheap air filter in it that had a cheap/poor seal. I installed a fram tough guard which has a nice, thick seal and got some air filter foam and made a pre filter to extend the life of the filter and see if I can get the silicon levels down more. The engine has never been opened up except for an intake manifold replacement. As for FD, not sure what that means.

Originally Posted by JoelB
I can't even remember the last time i saw a jug of mobil super honestly.

I can. I bought it all!
grin2.gif

To answer the OP's question though, I personally feel like the 5000 died along with the manufacturers' recommendations of 5K intervals. Nobody wants a 5K oil when their car asks for 7500...

Oh and we haven't got any shipments of Mobil Super Synthetic at the parts store for at least a month. Still have some 10w-30 left over but all the rest has been out of stock for a while. Discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back