What happened to Mobil Super 5000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dogememe
Oh and we haven't got any shipments of Mobil Super Synthetic at the parts store for at least a month. Still have some 10w-30 left over but all the rest has been out of stock for a while. Discontinued?

Perhaps being replaced by this? SS still showing on the Mobil website, but wonder for how much longer.
Mobil Full Synthetic

Instead of Mobil Super - I would use Super Tech Synthetic (WM) with D1/ Gen 2 rating ... Better oil and equal to lower price than Mobil Super .

Agree.
My Colorado consumed more Mobil Super Synthetic, than any other oil in it's 16 year-old history. Yet it loved Mobil-1 during major East Coast mountain climbs for 2-3 years from 2007-2009. I regret not sticking with Mobil-1 then.

Originally Posted by FordFETruck
Long time lurker but haven't posted in ages. In the last year or so my favorite two engine oils have all but disappeared from the shelves of every local store. Mobil super 5000 and Chevron supreme have dropped off every shelf local to me. I'm in western WA. The Chevron supreme dropping off doesn't surprise me since the havoline name seems to be taking over. But the Mobil super just disappearing almost overnight is weird. I used to get both of those oils on sale for $9.99 5 quart jug on sale at fred meyer and then get a rebate on top of it. What's going on, was super 5000 discontinued? Even mobil super high mileage and synthetic are gone.

Havoline will do you fine, just like Chevron. I live over in Kennewick. Walmarts here have just the Chevron, no Havoline. ...’ Mobil 5000 is a good oil, but, certain cars have certain likes. If you're wanting to stay cheap, SuperTech will do fine. Quaker State or Valvoline would also be great oils for your Ford, for less than $20 for a 5 quart jug.

That's a good price, but don't want that much at one time. I bought some supertech full synthetic high mileage 5w30 and put it in the truck today. We'll see how it does. Lots of bearing material come out in every oil change of that thing. It's some cheap .030" over remanufactured engine that was in the truck with unknown (high) miles. No crosshatching left in the cylinders. From the first oil change I did when I bought it 8 years ago its always had a lot of glitter, yellow, silver, iron on the magnetic drain plug. Yet it's always sounded good and doesn't really use any oil, oil pressure has always stayed the same and makes a lot of power. That one's getting the run it till it dies treatment. Maybe I should stop running it up to 6000 RPM lol.

I bought some supertech full synthetic high mileage 5w30 and put it in the truck today. We'll see how it does. Lots of bearing material come out in every oil change of that thing. It's some cheap .030" over remanufactured engine that was in the truck with unknown (high) miles. No crosshatching left in the cylinders. From the first oil change I did when I bought it 8 years ago its always had a lot of glitter, yellow, silver, iron on the magnetic drain plug. Yet it's always sounded good and doesn't really use any oil, oil pressure has always stayed the same and makes a lot of power. That one's getting the run it till it dies treatment. Maybe I should stop running it up to 6000 RPM lol.

Or start running 10W40 in summer and 5W40 in winter. Given that you are seeing glitter.
Even 15W40 if your climate allows.

Last edited:
I'm kind of kicking myself I didn't buy some at NAPA one day at something like $1.75 or $2.75 a quart on sale, in individual quarts.
frown.gif

I've mentioned BiL's 400k GM 5.3L … He always got the cheapest change at Mobil express and the name changed a few times … 5000, super, drive clean, all those …

Originally Posted by SR5
I bought some supertech full synthetic high mileage 5w30 and put it in the truck today. We'll see how it does. Lots of bearing material come out in every oil change of that thing. It's some cheap .030" over remanufactured engine that was in the truck with unknown (high) miles. No crosshatching left in the cylinders. From the first oil change I did when I bought it 8 years ago its always had a lot of glitter, yellow, silver, iron on the magnetic drain plug. Yet it's always sounded good and doesn't really use any oil, oil pressure has always stayed the same and makes a lot of power. That one's getting the run it till it dies treatment. Maybe I should stop running it up to 6000 RPM lol.

Or start running 10W40 in summer and 5W40 in winter. Given that you are seeing glitter.
Even 15W40 if your climate allows.

I've run all of those weights except for 5w40. There's always been the least amount of glitter and buildup on the magnetic drain plug with 5w30. Plus those crappy comp cams lifters just LOVE to tick on cold startup, the thicker the oil the worse it is. I've never heard the engine so quiet/smooth with this cam and valvetrain setup than with the supertech full synthetic high mileage 5w30. Lifters shut up within 5 seconds of startup instead of the usual 30+ seconds until the engine rpm starts varying from driving. If it's below 60 degrees you can rest assured you'll hear those crappy things tick. Old lifters never made a peep. I'll try a lunati cam/lifter kit next engine. I know it's not a oil supply issue. I've started the engine cold with the valve covers off and oil is squirting profusely everywhere within 5 seconds with 5w30. I tried that with 15w40 and even in the summer it took 10+ seconds for the oil to come oozing out of the pushrods onto the rocker arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back