What grease for mower spindles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Craftsman spindles have about 500 hours with Mystic JT6 and are as tight as new. I put Mystic JT6 in the lawn mower, bush hog, ATV, truck and boat alimites. I have only lost 2 bearings in the ATV and both times the seals were shot.

I like the Mystic products and the amsoil water resistant grease for that application. Golf course guys I know are using the water resistant grease on their reels and say that it holds up well.

The first thing I look at when buying a new piece of equipment is how many grease fittings are there, and where are they at! No grease fittings, I pass! I use the AMSOIL GLC #2 grease in everything from high speed trailer wheel bearings, mower spindles, 3 pt wood chipper bearings, U-joints, to the slow speed bushings on my yard trailer and wheel barrow. I buy it by the 14oz cartridge case and one will last me a couple of years.

I use the J-D "polyurea" #TY6341 multi-purpose stuff for the spindles on my J-D 54C deck, and everything else I have, too.

Got a good deal on a case of it a few years ago ($1.40/ea for 1# tubes) and it seems like good stuff. I smear a dab on the wife's glider swing pivots when I drag it out each spring, and it handles all the rain and stuff without squeaking for a couple months.

Interesting note about the lack of grease fittings some guys mentioned - my nephew's J-D L130 tractor has on of those "The Edge" decks on it. The original spindles have no zerks, but the replacements (2 so far - made in China
frown.gif
) he got from J-D, do. Mebbe if they had zerks from the factory, he wouldn't have had to replace the spindles?
frown.gif

My Cub Enforcer 54 has grease fittings on the mower spindles as does my Dixon Estate ZTR. I use Mobil 1 grease with good results.

Originally Posted by bob_ninja
At the very least it is something to keep in mind when buying the next machine. On my current Scotts (relabeled JD) I don't have easy access to them.

thanks

Crazy thing is the Scotts S1642's owner's manual says the spindles are factory filled with grease and NOT to grease them (even though they have zerks fittings!)….so not resurrect a 10 year old thread but my S1642 is 19 years old (purchased April 2000) and I've lubed my spindles 2-3 times a year and haven't had any issues. Yes she's still running strong at 19!

I've only had to, just recently, replace the input shaft on her TuffTorq K51a transaxle.

I use the Mobile 1 grease.
I use Shell Rotella 15W-40 year round
I just replaced the original TuffTorq factory oil with Mobil 15W-50.

This thread is 11 years old. Those greasable ones are quickly going away.

Last edited:
As spindles generally use 'sealed' bearings, the grease works as a heat sink only. Those spindles
can get pretty warm if not hot with extended use.

My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back