What do you cook that makes the whole house smell good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this in the oven right now. House hasn't smelled this good before.

[Linked Image from shadybrookfarms.com]

Pot roast, bacon and eggs, about anything in the slow cooker.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Home made soup.

True, I made chicken and vegetable barley soup earlier this week in my Dutch oven. Made a huge loaf of cornbread too. Happiness

Originally Posted by dave123
Liver & onions

I'm sorry
37.gif

I hope I didnt offend you, but I dont exactly like that meal

Chili.

Not just any chili. One made with homemade chili powder that is made a few days in advance. Dried chili pods are seeded and stemmed, then put in the oven to bring out the flavor before grinding them. That process alone fills the house with aroma. Next is toasting the comino seeds to make my own cumin powder. Once again, a hose full of aroma. To make the chili I brown the meat, a combination of pork and beef. Finally, all the ingredients are combined and the the chili simmers for hours. It is a fantastic combination, one that overwhelms the olfactory glands.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Liver & onions

I'm sorry
37.gif

Common reaction but I'll say most who don't like it never had it prepared properly

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Liver & onions

I'm sorry
37.gif

Common reaction but I'll say most who don't like it never had it prepared properly

Dave123: you are correct sir
smile.gif

I cannot stand lingering cooking smells in the house. I don't mind them while the cooking is being done and eating, but right after that I want them all gone. If you cook onions, or oily stuff, or indian dishes, the entire house is going to stink for days or weeks. Hence any kind of smelly cooking is done outside on the patio.

The only cooking smells I am ok with is when baking cakes / pastries.

I love when my wife makes Pho! She makes her own bone stock and buys the seasoning packs from the Asian food mart when we visit larger cities.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I cannot stand lingering cooking smells in the house. I don't mind them while the cooking is being done and eating, but right after that I want them all gone. If you cook onions, or oily stuff, or indian dishes, the entire house is going to stink for days or weeks. Hence any kind of smelly cooking is done outside on the patio.

For many foods, I would agree with you. But others, it is divine to smell the lingering aromas. Chili powder is one of them.

You tell'em CB! It has to be a little spicy with some potatoes thrown in. Wife or mom makes it; I don't cook much these days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back