What do y'all do with old car parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kestas
Otherwise, the local independent businessmen roam around the neighborhood with old trucks the day trash is put out picking out the metal.

Same here. Just set it out day before garbage pickup, and by nightfall it is usually gone.
On guy makes his rounds the night before, another does it the morning of

I have a scrap pile that I take to the scrapyard when it gets big enough. Sure, I don't get a lot of money, but it's better than throwing it in the garbage and getting nothing for it. I drive right past the scrapyard on my way to work, so it's not an inconvenience to stop there. Anything that's not scrappable goes in the trash. If the part was still good and usable, I wouldn't have replaced it in the first place. No point in hanging onto junk.

put them in the trash
27.gif

Return for core or take to transfer station and toss into the metal scrap bin.

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
Just wrap them up in a box marked "Fragile electronics", and put then on your front steps.,,,

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
Just wrap them up in a box marked "Fragile electronics", and put then on your front steps.,,,

Sort of like putting that cardboard sign up that says free on it. Bye bye and good luck. That works great for most things

I was really happy with my neighborhood "volunteers" when my dented door and brake rotors were gone within hours. But when they came back for my extension cords, yanked my battery charger's cables from under my garage door so hard it bent the frame before snipping the cables off - I had enough. Maybe they need an honest job.

I was elated when I got $14 for the 183-pound transmission from my 530i when I scrapped it myself. Could have been the adrenaline from "He-Man"ing it around, but felt like I won the lottery!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back