What Brand or Octane gas do you like to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
top tier, +1. Premium? Unless it's specifically recommended, don't waste your money. The term "Premium" is deceptive. It suggests "High value", when in fact it's just a marketing term for 91RON.

I'm not picky with gas stations as I am seeking out pumps with 1 pistol per grade. At I'm using Shell and a couple local gas stations for e0. Harley gets costco like the rest of my cars as there is 0 benefits with higher octanes.

My CR-V and F150 both call for 87 octane regular but I consistently get better MPG and a smoother/better running engine with at least 89 octane or "mid grade"

I agree, premium isn't always necessary but I also think regular 87 even at top tier stations isn't what it used to be...

Shell and ARCO 89 in all my vehicles
19.gif

Any well-traveled gas station is fine with me, the large and always busy ones. I try to avoid small gas stations.. I use additives at regular intervals, so any high-volume is fine. The names are usually different, and I can't fill up at the same pump all the time, due to being everywhere.

And, most the time, 87 is fine. Haven't tried the 86 Economy grade that is in some spots. If higher octane is NEEDED as it is on some vehicles, then its best to use it, you gain fuel economy in those even if it doesn't knock and ping via retardation but you pay more for it so
21.gif
I have found that using 87 on long highway trips in a car that needs premium gives rather horrible fuel economy vs 93 and doing the exact same thing.

Simple math does dissuade me from buying 89 octane gas, except when money is dictating what happens.

I guess maybe it depends on how important cleanliness is to your fuel system. My understanding is top tier fuel has guaranteed adequate detergents. And a fuel like Shell V Power has additional additives.

Let's be clear about "octane". In the USA you use the 'AKI' (anti-knock index) or (R+M)/2 octane number (the average of the RON and MON). Here in Europe (and pretty much everywhere else) we use RON. For that reason our "octane number" is always higher than American ones, for similar grades of fuel.

I use 'regular' unleaded gasoline, which is 95 RON. We get 'premium' options from various suppliers, usually in the 97/98 RON area. Remember though that octane number is not a quality index. However, the premium fuels with higher octane numbers often also have extra additives for ignition improvement and detergency, so tend to be better.

Remember also that unless your engine can take advantage of a higher octane number (by dynamic ignition advance, or if you have manually advanced the ignition timing) then it won't offer much benefit (aside from the potential to clean up fuel system deposits). Also, an older engine may benefit if it is coked up - the carbon deposits in the combustion chamber have two effects on the combustion: (1) they act as 'glow plugs' and can pre-ignite the charge and (2) they reduce the combustion chamber volume, this increasing the compression ratio. Both can cause pre-ignition which a higher octane number fuel will resist better.

We have 91 and 95 here, with some stations having 98...I use 91 in the R65. I don't care what brand, but will use our local Z because I can pay at the pump and not have to stand behind someone doing their weekly grocery shopping.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I'm not picky with gas stations as I am seeking out pumps with 1 pistol per grade. At I'm using Shell and a couple local gas stations for e0. Harley gets costco like the rest of my cars as there is 0 benefits with higher octanes.

My Harley calls for premium, but I see yours is carbed and probably a little different. If I run 89 it pings when hot. Premium is all that works for me.

"One pistol per grade" Never thought about that. I fill up with regular at Costco and they use the same nozzle and hose for both regular and premium. The hose is long and probably has close to a litre of gas in it. So if the previous user filled up with premium, then I am getting a litre of premium at no extra charge over regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back