What Brand Oil Filter Is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend bought a 1999 Mustang, 3.8 V6, 189 K miles. It was in the last flood we had here last year. The engine wasn't harmed. The starter was froze up. The interior had water just below the dash. He only paid $500 for it.
He put it up on his lift and pressure washed underneath. He tore out the whole interior. He also changed the oil and all the filters.
I asked him for the oil filter . It has no label on it so I have no idea what brand it is. He went back with an FL-400S and 5W30 PRO DS.
I know this much, the can is very thick. I went thru 11 cutting wheels on my Dremel to get it cut open.

FILTER1.jpeg

FILTER2.jpeg

FILTER4.jpeg

FILTER6.jpeg

FILTER7.jpeg

FILTER8.jpeg

FILTER9.jpeg

FILTER11.jpeg

Funny looking crud inside the filter ... was this engine ran after the flood and before this oil change?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Funny looking crud inside the filter ... was this engine ran after the flood and before this oil change?

That's from the Dremel cutting wheels.

Originally Posted by cronk
The base plate looks like Champion Labs.
Engraved AA on that plate would support that finding. With no more information, I agree Champ Labs. Not Wix/Napa Gold, with the exception of newish 5/1334 they all use coil compression spring.

Not sure what that cruddy looking residue is on the on endcap and inner baseplate. Speculation would be Dremel cutting wheel residue mixed with oil.

Edit, using Xref for 400S, filter either M1-211 or M1-209.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I'm betting it's a European made Napa filter like I posted months ago
smile.gif

Champ labs filter uses lovers BTW
wink.gif

How much do you want to wager? Say $20? I'm in.
55.gif
j/k

As for louvers, Champ Labs does use them but older M1 used holes with same arrangement/pattern as topic. Linked virgin M1-211 shows identical centertube to topic. Also note stamped AA on baseplate, and same number inlet holes.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4051476/Unused_M1-211_old_stock_from_2

Another M1-211, pics now blurred by photobucket, but centertube design discernible.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3931322/M1-211_cut_open_6000_miles

I said either M1-211 of M1-209, I'll narrow my final choice down to the former, M1-211

Originally Posted by Kira
I was thinking the OP cut the filter open and set the pieces under a table saw.

That thar is funny right thar.
crackmeup2.gif

All that soot is from my Dremel. I went thru 11 cutting wheels to open the filter.That can sure is thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back