What are you working on today?

Our daytime temperatures are going to be in the 70s the next few days so I can work on replacing brake caliper hardware. Got one wheel complete before garage temperature got too high to tolerate. Hope cool weather is a harbinger of a pleasant fall. My favorite time of the year.

Man it was hot and humid today. It was 92 with 94% humidity. I got the tires rotated, oil changed. I think I was sweating more than I could put back in. The kids and wife are screaming for a boat day tomorrow so we will see what happens.
IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0364.jpg

Before and after with Fluid Film using the brush method

I replaced the valve cover gasket on my CR-V this morning. Finally got the MCU replaced recently and everything is working right again.

It's going off to its new owner next week.

Problem with a Craftsman mower stopping after 10 minutes, spark and gas ok. Pulled head and found exhaust valve opens slightly at bottom of compression stroke as if it has a compression release which I don`t think a Briggs 7.25 HP vertical shaft does. Closes 1/3rd way up. Compression was 25LBS.

Did a valve lash adjustment on my dad's John Deere LA140 lawn tractor. 13 years old and still running strong. Also changed out the main fuel hose and fuel filter. I've worked on this tractor so many times that it's pretty much an axe with three new blades and five new handles by now. But at 400 hours with no rust, good internal engine health (no oil burning and strong compression), and a rust free 48" deck, we'd rather keep this going than try our luck with any of the new riding mowers that seem to be built cheaper and cheaper by the minute.

One thing that surprised me is that even with this global supply chain disruption, Briggs and Stratton is still shifting more of their OEM parts production to China. The valve cover gaskets on these V-Twins used to be made here in the USA, but now they're made in China. Same with their ignition magneto wires and spark plug connectors. I'm imagining the whole engine's going to be made in China within the next few years if they keep this going, even if politics and a pandemic's wrath on the parts supply chain tells them they really ought to keep production in the US.

Last edited:
Does the pump use a gasket or o-ring ?

If a gasket , I usually use the black non hardening Permatex sealant and adhere the gasket to the removable part .

It just uses a regular gasket. I fitted it dry (no gasket goop), and torqued it to spec. No leaks! And that little 3.0 liter V6 has a nice, quiet idle now.

The old pump worked fine; it was the original with the plastic impeller and it didn’t leak or anything. The new AC Delco branded pump has a metal impeller and is silky smooth. Now that it has a newly quieter engine, I guess that old pump was on borrowed time and my change out prevented a breakdown for its future owner. 😎 Cheap job too.

If you figured 2 hours multiply that 3 and add .30

I got it done and in in about 45 minutes, including bleeding the cooling system with my funnel system. The pump is on the back of the engine, but since it’s transverse, it’s easy to get at... ChrisFix onYoutube actually has a video on the very same job I did yesterday, so it went quick. So I decided to change my cylinder deactivation solenoids on my 2011 Charger. Now that one... went fast too!
I’m not going to further push my luck, but I have my niece’s Avalanche to work on: axles, ball joints, sway bar links. THAT one is probably going to be a LONG day...

Sanding down the frame, priming and painting it before oil spray, while the box is off my truck. My bodyman friend is replacing the cab corners and rocker panels for me. The old ones were the least rusty he had ever replaced apparently (our climate eats vehicles alive).
Then helping him to finish installing the roof on his new garage, so he can do the rest of the body and full paint job on my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20200829_133105.jpg
    IMG_20200829_133105.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20200829_133114.jpg
    IMG_20200829_133114.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200829_133412.jpg
    IMG_20200829_133412.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20200829_135324.jpg
    IMG_20200829_135324.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20200829_161434.jpg
    IMG_20200829_161434.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200829_161439.jpg
    IMG_20200829_161439.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20200829_161443.jpg
    IMG_20200829_161443.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20200829_201953.jpg
    IMG_20200829_201953.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 52
Man that looks like a tedious project there. What are your priming that with? Yup, salt water is bad for metal.

Man it was hot and humid today. It was 92 with 94% humidity. I got the tires rotated, oil changed. I think I was sweating more than I could put back in. The kids and wife are screaming for a boat day tomorrow so we will see what happens.View attachment 28078View attachment 28079

Before and after with Fluid Film using the brush method

Wish my truck looked that good! Also got confused for a second when I didn't see the nut for the CV axle then realized you're in Florida... Gonna try the old bar and chain oil treatment on mine this year.

Man that looks like a tedious project there. What are your priming that with? Yup, salt water is bad for metal.
I'm using tremclad primer and then tremclad flat black brush on paint. Then fluid film after it dries. For a 15 year old truck this is pretty mint for around here.

Trying to get the varnish out of the carb of a newly purchased ATV. Got it running good a week ago, but some varnish flaked off the bowl and plugged the jets. Time to get out the parts cleaner and dipping basket.

Today's maintenance routine. I need to put together a new addition to the tool collection. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DY9HBAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This should make tire rotations on my trucks a lot easier. I was struggling with rotations lifting 100lb tires on studs in a awkward position. So we will see how this works. Plan:

Amazing - I JUST ordered this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DWHSM0M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the exact reasons...................well except at 62 years, hoisting tires on is a real PITB.

So HOW did that model work out?

Amazing - I JUST ordered this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DWHSM0M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the exact reasons...................well except at 62 years, hoisting tires on is a real PITB.

So HOW did that model work out?

Hey Pabs,

It works real well it just takes a bit to get the hang of balancing the tire on it. I was able to take my 33's off my truck and put them back on without trouble. I didn't have to yell at anyone. That is a big plus. My wheels weigh about 100lbs and they are whipping me no more.

Wish my truck looked that good! Also got confused for a second when I didn't see the nut for the CV axle then realized you're in Florida... Gonna try the old bar and chain oil treatment on mine this year.

Thanks. One of the reasons I will never move back to the North, among many other reasons. The Fluid Film works great.

Back