Went to Jiffy Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I now have a company truck, I have to take it in for its maintenance. My employer has a Jiffy Lube account, so that's where I went. The OLM was at 4%, and the little light was flashing saying "change oil soon". It's a 2015 Silverado 2500. I walked in, and the guy said, "Hey, you're Bobby P__", right?"

Nope, but maybe he used to drive this truck. Anyway, he then asks me if I want Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 like last time. I look at the screen, and sure enough, that's what Bobby or whoever got last time. So sure, I guess, it's been over 11,500 miles, and I seem to recall Platinum being the Dexos oil.

"OK, that's $108.xx. Just sign here." Gulp. I've been changing my own oil for long enough that that price seems astronomical to me. But I sign.

So, while I'm waiting, a guy comes in with a 99 Yaris, wants his oil changed. Mr. Jiffy asks him what oil. Pennzoil Gold, he says, and the guy confirms that he wants the synthetic blend. OK, $78.00. Dang. OK, says the customer.

I asked him how much it would cost to change the oil in a 2003 Hyundai Elantra with conventional (PYB). $44.00 plus tax. So I'm thinking if I buy motor oil at the local Kragen it's about 6 bucks a quart, so 4 quarts and a filter is maybe $30.00. So the PYB wouldn't be such a bad deal under those circumstances. I'll still change my own oil, thanks. And I still think $108 for Pennz Platinum is kind of insane.

There was a thread on here recently where I was going to post what a place like this gets for an oil change, I was going to use VOIC for reference, but your price reports are pretty much spot on.

I think of all the things I could do with $108... Your truck is probably up high enough off the ground that you don't even need ramps to get to the oil bolt, and could put that same $25 of oil in.. however, some people they need the service done for them. Hey.

Recently did a PP Euro 5w40 change with Napa Gold 7055 filter, total cost $ 40.00 Canadian. That's about $ 30.00 US ...

Local Lube place charges 129.95 CDN ( $ 99.00 US ) for synthetic change with jobber filters. Never used to be THAT expensive !

Buy the oil and filter only when on sale, do it yourself, and save $ 90.00 for less than 1 hours work. Nice.

Last edited:
Doesn't your company have guidelines on which oil type can be used?

Most companies or fleet managers will specify using the least expensive oil that would meet requirements - which would be Pennzoil Gold.

Saw this today on a receipt in a 2010 A4, Zap Lube charges 98$ plus tax for unknown 5/30 syn and a white filter. We're 85 for a Mann and Fuchs 5/40. Illusion of saving money.

As I talk cars with friends, family, and neighbors I've noticed that ANY time they take the car into the shop for ANY reason it seems like they are being soaked for at least
1000$ or more, almost seems like an industry standard scheme now. I believe this is to compensate for the loss of customers that no longer take their cars in because they don't trust this industry at all, and many have either resorted to DIY, have a handy family member or neighbor do things, or they just drive the carp out of the vehicle and do NO service or maintenance and wait until it dies and buy another one. Lets face it the auto repair industry has shot itself in the foot and is on track to hang itself soon enough.

there are still some good fair priced independents especially in small to medium priced areas, mostly i DIY whatever i can at 71 years!! slow but sure, just did a complete timing belt kit on my fun 2001 audi TT roadster + enjoyed it. being retired time matters not, + weather it be my car or pickup it gets done when it gets done!!!

Originally Posted by benjy
there are still some good fair priced independents especially in small to medium priced areas, mostly i DIY whatever i can at 71 years!! slow but sure, just did a complete timing belt kit on my fun 2001 audi TT roadster + enjoyed it. being retired time matters not, + weather it be my car or pickup it gets done when it gets done!!!

Motor on young man!!

A local AutoTire charges me $10 plus disposal and tax roughly $16 total with coupon and their credit card. VWB. Warned my GF about getting near Jiffy. Thank God Wally dropped em and went back to $20 QS green.

I went to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change, to only find 5.7 qt and filter sys oil. Price $114.00 no tax. LIFE in the SHOW ME STATE!!!

You guys don't have groupon?

Valvoline and Jiffy both run deals on groupon non stop. Firestone has coupons non stop as well.

Heck, even a ford quick lane will service most cars for $34.99 including rotation.

My last Jiffy oil change was for our Scion, it was $24.99 on groupon and I had some coupon codes which brought it down to $20 or so.

Pennzoil 5w20 and their house filter.

I probably won't go back to Jiffy, I hated that they ripped the cabin air filter out of the car and the engine air filter and laid it on the hood of the car to show me how clean they were.

Originally Posted by dbias
Originally Posted by benjy

Motor on young man!!

Amen to that ^^^^^^^^

Right on.

Isn't there one of these threads every couple of weeks ? Newsflash # 1: If you pay someone else to do some work, it's gonna cost more ! Newsflash # 2: The price is not too high or else people wouldn't be paying it.

Our local Chevy dealer charges $70 for an 8Q oil change with AC Delco Dexos1+filter Full Synthetic oil, and $20 for a tire rotation. Jiffy lube is a way overpriced option. They even have a $15 rebate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Isn't there one of these threads every couple of weeks ? Newsflash # 1: If you pay someone else to do some work, it's gonna cost more ! Newsflash # 2: The price is not too high or else people wouldn't be paying it.

Yes-and the other one is the "Dealer Thread Bash" of the week.

The posts just keep getting more predictable as time goes by. Everyone knows what the comments will be on a "Jiffy Lube" thread before you even click on it.

I just had the oil changed at a local tire place that has an Insta-Lube attached. It was on my wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL with the 3.3. motor/6 quarts of oil with a cartridge filter. $38.00 after a $5.00 discount.(5w/30 Valvoline conventional oil) I'm not complaining!

Last edited:
I'm still working on my 3 yr oil and filter stash. About a year or more left. I've been enjoying doing $6 oil changes with QS high mileage semi-synthetic and Fram Ultra Guards. The oil was basically free during a previous AAP clearance.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
I'm still working on my 3 yr oil and filter stash. About a year or more left. I've been enjoying doing $6 oil changes with QS high mileage semi-synthetic and Fram Ultra Guards. The oil was basically free during a previous AAP clearance.

No it wasn't free. That's the nonsense that goes on here. It took your time, fuel and whatever you paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back