Well, this is neat: Malware activity from Autel scantool

Lol, not China, USA.
Not from automotive scan tools (that didn't exist) they weren't, lol.

I'm not QUITE sure of the point you are attempting to make here, but would appreciate some clarification if it isn't too much effort, as it doesn't REALLY seem to be related to the topic of this thread, which is an internet-connected automotive scan tool apparently containing code or an IC that's programmed to access a malicious domain in China.

The point is that USA was collecting 'telemetry' from VAX computers that were at least sold abroad back in late 70s and there were back doors implemented back then. We just cannot expect 'clean' electronics anymore regardless where they come from.
Thank you! Yes, that's been going on for many decades.

Wasn't the CIA somewhat recently caught tapping the phone of Angela Merkel? Historically, these sorts of things were reserved for higher value targets worthy of surveillance and collecting data on, however more and more we are seeing vulnerabilities, back doors and the like in consumer-grade devices and the purpose is... different, particularly when it comes to botnets, skimming banking and credit card information and selling it on the black market, ID theft...etc.

It's one thing when an American buys a consumer electronic device from a wholly Chinese company and then we later learn that these devices are being hijacked by Chinese cyber terrorists:
1710724491729.jpg

It's quite another when it's an automotive scan tool from a reputable company containing a malicious IC (not saying that's the case here, we don't have that info, but it's a possibility).

Do you remember the compromised IC in the Supermicro motherboards? @Rand reminded me of that gem of a story:
Supermicro spy chips, the sequel: It really, really happened, and with bad BIOS and more, insists Bloomberg • The Register

So what are they doing then? Under the false claim of getting updates, they’re giving your home address and vin number so next time it connects they can steal your HDD data?!?
No idea, I don't have access to the tool, would be interested to find out, it's accessing a domain that's known to be used for botnets. I'm not sure as to the level of access that tool has, but if it can write things to the modules, there's also potential to infect the vehicle.

Back