Weird electrical splice

I dunno, every one of my many 220V receptacles have split bolts wrapped in lots of tape. Not much other way to easily put #6 together. The set-screw Polaris connectors are cool but you'd go broke, and they're too big for even most deep boxes.

So I finished the job today in the rental where every outlet in the home is GFCI except for one (and that one is connected to ground). One even tested as grounded, so the box must have been connected to ground. The tenant said that one GFCI seemed to trip within a few minutes when a specific wall wart was plugged in, and I swapped that out with a Leviton and it seemed to be stable.

I found two more of those crimped connections. However, instead of cutting them completely off, I just cut off the crimp sleeves to see what I could do with them since wire length was a precious resource. I found out that it was actually just two wires where one had an exposed segment and the other was twisted together before crimping. The covered with electrical tape. I was not going to leave it in. But I cut it off leaving twisted wire and I used a tan wire nut to connect to a pigtail. One was 14 AWG, but I could get twisted 12 AWG wires and a straight 12 AWG pigtail to fit in the same wire nut.

crimp_and_tape.jpeg

twist_and_crimp.jpeg

I also noticed that the GE receptacles I took out had aluminum bodies, but were almost identical to the steel ones. However, the aluminum body ones didn't have a 250V/10A rating like the ones with steel. They were otherwise identical. They were old but the aluminum had no apparent corrosion even after 60-70 years.

So no more solder, crimps, etc. I guess I might get a call if one of the receptacles acts up, but that won't be uncovering any mystery.

Back