Warranty work

The one time I had a problem that couldn't be diagnosed or fixed Acura kept the car for 4 weeks and had company engineers come to take a look. They actually used the experience to implement a TSB. The problem had to do with a weld around the moonroof making a loud popping noise over bumps. I was told it was not welded correctly but this was not a structural weld and there was no safety issue - it was just annoying.

If they can't figure it out is there not some method of calling-in corporate to help?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
Sorry to hear that. Mazda seems a bit stingy compared to what I saw with Chrysler Subaru and Hyundai.

On a side note, you heard any noises out of these new 6's? PM me if you'd rather avoid here and this nonsense. I read up on the LCA TSB but it seems to not apply according to the first dealer and my vin. Just didn't know what type of noise those bad bushings give and if mine may have been included in that bulliten even though they claim otherwise.

I think we have had a few. I do back counter as well as all of the Mazda and Ford ordering so it would go through me.

As a follow up...

Went to 2nd dealer. They wouldn't even drive it off the lot. They put less than 1 mile on it and said nothings wrong. I showed videos, they didn't care

Called Mazda customer service. They have been in touch with 1st dealer and agreed to give them diagnosis money to get them to look at the car again. I haven't heard from them to arrange anything still but it hasn't been a full business day since they accepted the diagnosis arrangement with Mazda.

Question: do I point out to them that all my noises fall in line with a TSB to a T that apples to Mazda 6s up to a vin number just short of mine?

The original dealer pointed that out to me my first visit and admitted that Mazda may need to reconsider the TSB to include more vins. I just don't want to sound like I'm trying to make them perform a TSB to get them to do warranty repairs for me.

Be as assertive as you can while still being friendly, repeat a mantra of sorts every time you talk to them and every time, the same way word for word (as if you recorded them) on things they originally said -
ie; We don't have the time to put into this,,,,
Our crew is down due to CoVid.....
The TSB doesn't count for the camera because it isn't throwing a code...

Personally, I don't think any of those things are automatically or easily defensible for them nor in your control. Who's to say it will throw a code if that car is exhibiting other faults or things that are not working? What if the code thrower is broke ? !!

The other thing I'd do is scour the internet car forums for any traces of troubles and noises in the front end or with the camera operation on Mazda's looking for any clues on something that might be linked. If you hit gold finding a good amount of issues, it'll help you make a case. At that point you could even tell them you don't want to make a bunch of noise nor care about all the others with problems, "just please fix mine". I'd also make contact if you haven't with the area or Zone rep for Mazda. Every action you take should let them think you are ready or posturing for legal battle but you don't really want to say it out loud unless you are willing to back it up.

Good luck.

Last edited:
IMO a big part of the problem here is with the way that dealer service departments operate, and it is directly connected to how the manufacturer pays warranty claims. What I think is happening here is that the technician who originally worked on your Mazda (maybe a technician with limited experience) did not find the problems in the limited time he was being paid-for. Then, on subsequent visits, the Mazda was given back to the same technician as a "come back", for which he wasn't being paid at all. This is standard operating procedure. The technician is not going to spend very much time (if any) looking at this again because he isn't being paid for doing it, so he just tells them that no problems were found. Typically, a customer will get frustrated and give-up trying to get the problems fixed. What needs to happen here is a fresh face needs to have-a-go at finding the problems. Tell your dealer that you want a different more experienced technician to look at it (maybe the shop foreman since he is being paid extra to deal with heat cases), and that you are willing to pay a diagnostic fee. This will clue-them-in that maybe you really DO have problems. Have them agree to reimburse the diagnostic fee after the problems are found and addressed.

I had something similar to this with my 2016 WRX. I started a thread here on it.

The engine made a noise when revved high - close to redline.

Dealer said they couldn't find it.

I took it back because I had another vehicle to drive, and left it. It was there for weeks and weeks. Ended up getting Subaru of America involved.

Finally, they found the source - an exhaust header stud nut was left off from the factory, allowing exhaust gases to erode through the gasket, and exhaust gases to leak, causing the noise.

Subaru of America comped me a 7-year, 100,000-mile Gold Extended Service Plan (basically means the Bumper-to-Bumper warranty was extended out to 7 years/100K) for my trouble.

Mazda should be doing the same, or similar, for you.

Originally Posted by wag123
IMO a big part of the problem here is with the way that dealer service departments operate, and it is directly connected to how the manufacturer pays warranty claims. What I think is happening here is that the technician who originally worked on your Mazda (maybe a technician with limited experience) did not find the problems in the limited time he was being paid-for. Then, on subsequent visits, the Mazda was given back to the same technician as a "come back", for which he wasn't being paid at all. This is standard operating procedure. The technician is not going to spend very much time (if any) looking at this again because he isn't being paid for doing it, so he just tells them that no problems were found. Typically, a customer will get frustrated and give-up trying to get the problems fixed. What needs to happen here is a fresh face needs to have-a-go at finding the problems. Tell your dealer that you want a different more experienced technician to look at it (maybe the shop foreman since he is being paid extra to deal with heat cases), and that you are willing to pay a diagnostic fee. This will clue-them-in that maybe you really DO have problems. Have them agree to reimburse the diagnostic fee after the problems are found and addressed.

When I was a dealer tech then shop foreman when a "comeback" happened it went back to tech but this time with Shop Foreman involved. If it came back again then Shop Foreman got called in by Manager then it was his baby to fix. We had a great record in fixing right the first time. This was at Chevrolet and Toyota dealerships. My mother brought her Impala in to same dealership and after 2 weeks with me hounding them they finally replaced Alternator with Battery but not other problems as it was beyond there capacity (rear defrost not working). Still not working. I did a quick check and there is no power even with fuses good but she didn't want me to track it down as only wanted it fixed as it was under extended warranty. They did give her the diagnostic fee back.

As another update...

They had the car 4 days. Heard the creaking noises, replaced the swaybar bushings and didn't fix it so they replaced the front lower control arms and did fix it.

They said the LCAs fixed my rattle noise too, but it didn't.

Mazda corporate called me before I called the dealer back. I explained the situation, they insisted on calling the dealer for me.

Within minutes the dealer called me back to tell me there is no noise in my car anymore....BUT if there is, it's my underbody belly pan because it's loose.

Well if it were loose, I'd know. I drive it every day. I haven't wrecked it. I haven't run over anything. I've had it off 1 time to service the trans, but they had it off to service the control arms and swaybar. I asked did they not secure it after removing it??

She called back and said never mind, tech says it's not loose anymore (obviously, because like I said, they had to remove and reinstall it). I don't think it was loose, but the tech is pointing out that I removed my oil filter acesss and didn't put it back on.

We went back and forth about how they completed the repairs to half of the TSB (control arms) why not do the other half (strut rattle)? She claims Mazda doesn't pay for repairing noises. WHY WOULD THEY HAVE A TSB with warranty times for repair then?

Currently awaiting a call back from Mazda corporate to see [censored] their deal is, why I'm getting conflicting stories as to Mazda corporate caring and wanting to fix the car, but the dealer saying Mazda won't fix it.

Pain in my [censored].

Your experience parallels and reinforces my advice. Try with dealer and if no go after two tries call corporate phone number in manual.

Good dealers take care of it.

Corporate has been involved for the passed couple weeks. I just got word yesterday that they're giving up on diagnosing the rattle. They claim they've exhausted every possible resource and have everything documented, if it becomes more prevalent to contact them again.

I sent them videos every morning since the repair of the rattle. I told them they are either not duplicating the noise (understandable, but I gave them very specific and easy to follow ways to duplicate it) or 2...they aren't being honest.

I stated that they performed 1/2 of a TSB that pertains to my exact noises and they successfully fixed that 1 noise, so why don't they explore performing the other 1/2 of that TSB?

I don't get it, but they seem like they're done.

Corporate has been involved for the passed couple weeks. I just got word yesterday that they're giving up on diagnosing the rattle. They claim they've exhausted every possible resource and have everything documented,

I get it completely and tried to warn you - this aint my first rodeo. They have now claimed 'due diligence' and written you off.

Now back to the original decision you have to make

Live with it and learn to love it

or

Get that 3rd party diagnosis and seek effective counsel

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
Corporate has been involved for the passed couple weeks. I just got word yesterday that they're giving up on diagnosing the rattle. They claim they've exhausted every possible resource and have everything documented,

I get it completely and tried to warn you - this aint my first rodeo. They have now claimed 'due diligence' and written you off.

or

Or finally fix it yourself ....

Seems like it will come down to fixing it myself, but it'll just wait till I need struts. I shouldn't have to live with a noise on a new factory warrantied car, but I guess Mazda has a different opinion on that. And it's not such a matter that I would involve legal council for. I thought about mentioning that in my conversations with them, but I'm not a good BS'r and it's not going to get to that point.

It's just a shame bc I think Mazda does make a good car. This experience puts a bad taste in my mouth for them, and although I don't replace my car but every 15 years or so, it'll still be on my mind. Hopefully Honda or Toyota is production a better deal come then, because I couldn't swallow the Honda premium $ for an accord (not the turbo and cvt or new 10spd) or the Camry (test drove it, but didn't like the trans, Underwood is a MESS for a 4 cylinder, and they wouldn't budge on the price anyway).

Originally Posted by tiger862
Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

or

Or finally fix it yourself ....

I agree ^^^^^^^

Struts I'd bet are not likely to be super expensive to have installed. And that's what I'd do if the noise annoyed me a lot.

I can do the work myself. What's annoying is the fact that Mazda won't fix it under warranty, and it is even more annoying that it is a common enough problem that they issue a TSB to repair it yet they still won't fix my car. They're so proud of themselves for fixing half the problem after 5 attempts that they've exhausted all their resources now.

Check the upper strut mounts. This can be a difficult rattle to diagnose. I have seen bad ones come from the factory on new vehicles.

You guys ever take a car under warranty to a dealer multiple times and continue to get no problem found...can you take it to another dealer? Will they still provide a loaner?

It's a Mazda. Mazda's site states they provide Mazda loaners for service or warranty work. But my question is with a history of "no problem found" are they going to refuse providing a loaner?

I have two front end noises that I would like to think are from the same thing but sound completely different.

I also have a forward camera that doesn't work in the hot...a TSB applies to this but they refused to repair it due to me not bringing it in with an active fault code.

I've worked in a dealer 2003-2013 and we never have our customers as much trouble as they've been giving me. I even worked for this family of dealers. They're just really frustrating me and I'm almost out of warranty.

They're telling me now they've wasted too much time and covid has them down to a skeleton crew and blah blah, but keep saying they just won't look at it anymore. I get the "Mazda is a great car, we are a boutique brand that doesn't have the money to throw parts at your car" etc.

No, my Mazdas and Mazda dealer have always been an excellent experience, and warranty work is excellent, with loaner. I can even get a loaner for an oil change if I so choose, but of course I have to pre-arrange it and can't expect to always have one available at my whim if I just drive up.

Just stumbled across this when searching the forums.

I bought a 2017 CX-5 with 31,000 miles on it. About a week or so into owning it the temps dropped and I noticed a crunching/creaking noise coming from the front end. Happens any time the suspension is flexed in any way, even driving straight at low speeds over normal road undulations. The noise is most noticeable when turning into driveways or through an intersection to turn.

I have only put 1,400 miles on the vehicle since purchasing it in November due to working from home, so I was just going to wait until my first service in April to bring it up (CPO comes with 12,000 mile warranty). I’ve been trying to ignore it because I was a problem chaser on my Tacoma and it made me miserable (they were legit issues, but it was so annoying wasting half of my days in the dealer over three years; also have a front end rubbing/creaking noise on my Elantra for the last 40,000 miles and the thing is still great so I’m hangin’ on hope!). I did see the TSB for the control arm/strut , but not necessarily the one for the sway bar links/bushings. OP, do you have that on hand? I think it likely applies to the CX-5 as well. Also curious how many miles you put up with the crunching noise. I’ve got a slight oscillation from the front end when coming to a stop, and my headlights seem to bounce a bit so I wonder if it’s related.

Hope I don’t get the runaround.

Last edited:
Just stumbled across this when searching the forums.

I bought a 2017 CX-5 with 31,000 miles on it. About a week or so into owning it the temps dropped and I noticed a crunching/creaking noise coming from the front end. Happens any time the suspension is flexed in any way, even driving straight at low speeds over normal road undulations. The noise is most noticeable when turning into driveways or through an intersection to turn.

I have only put 1,400 miles on the vehicle since purchasing it in November due to working from home, so I was just going to wait until my first service in April to bring it up (CPO comes with 12,000 mile warranty). I’ve been trying to ignore it because I was a problem chaser on my Tacoma and it made me miserable (they were legit issues, but it was so annoying wasting half of my days in the dealer over three years; also have a front end rubbing/creaking noise on my Elantra for the last 40,000 miles and the thing is still great so I’m hangin’ on hope!). I did see the TSB for the control arm/strut , but not necessarily the one for the sway bar links/bushings. OP, do you have that on hand? I think it likely applies to the CX-5 as well. Also curious how many miles you put up with the crunching noise. I’ve got a slight oscillation from the front end when coming to a stop, and my headlights seem to bounce a bit so I wonder if it’s related.

Hope I don’t get the runaround.
Good luck.

I still tried again about a month ago, as the noise that has not been fixed yet is more frequent and audible even above the radio or blower motor, but now the service department is “under new management,” and wants their diagnosis fees upfront. Mazda corporate nor the service department care that the old manager told me to come back when it was more frequent and easy, even out of warranty (they knew on the last visit that I wasn’t satisfied and that I was out of warranty in a matter of miles).

As far as the TSB...it’s at work I believe so I can send it Monday. But it does not pertain to the sway bar bushings or links. That was their 1st attempt at repair / their shot in the dark, because my car is a couple serial numbers out of the lower control arm and strut TSB, they didn’t want to believe that any of my noises could be remedied by that TSB.

Good luck.

I still tried again about a month ago, as the noise that has not been fixed yet is more frequent and audible even above the radio or blower motor, but now the service department is “under new management,” and wants their diagnosis fees upfront. Mazda corporate nor the service department care that the old manager told me to come back when it was more frequent and easy, even out of warranty (they knew on the last visit that I wasn’t satisfied and that I was out of warranty in a matter of miles).

As far as the TSB...it’s at work I believe so I can send it Monday. But it does not pertain to the sway bar bushings or links. That was their 1st attempt at repair / their shot in the dark, because my car is a couple serial numbers out of the lower control arm and strut TSB, they didn’t want to believe that any of my noises could be remedied by that TSB.

Thanks, I'll need the luck. I made an appointment for this Wednesday and fully described the issues in writing so I don't forget anything when I go there. Requested a tech rides with me, I don't think they will be able to miss the noise. I took a video, as well (it's much louder in the video than it is in person). Attached, if you had a similar noise.

Back