Walmart Oil Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
... Whether it is Walmart or Jiff Lube, leaving up to 20% of used oil of unknown quality should be a concern if your goal is to keep the vehicle for an extended period of time.
Unclear what alternative you're proposing to a normal oil change to avoid the feared residual old oil that's inevitably left to mix with the new. Totally disassembling and reassembling an engine to get out every drop?

Besides, the residual is normally less than 20% you're assuming. Toyota's specifications for my car, for example, effectively state the residual is 6%. Every manufacturer allows for residual oil in oil-change recommendations. Even when it's higher than usual, one can fully compensate by changing the oil slightly earlier than usual the next time.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This idea of 20% of old oil left is malarkey. I've always drained the capacity stated out of my vehicles and filled with the same.

Granted there is some leftover oil but it's not even close to 20%.

20% is a tall claim … once in a while I have one bottle of oil that does not have a future use and I pour it in after my half hour drain, plug still removed. Sure comes out quick and clean.

When Jiffy finished up on my 128k Cruze yesterday- they pulled it forward and showed me the dipstick.
(4.2 quart system)
The Pennzoil Gold looked like out of the bottle on the stick.

This is the first semi ever in that motor. Only M1 or PP/PUP up to that point.

I don't understand why you did what you did??? I really am confused.

However, I'd run the oil your normal OCI and change it.

Or, if this is really concerning you, wait til the weather breaks and do a change yourself.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by spk2000
Walmart now does vacuum up the diptstick tube only.

Not true. They actually trying to stay away from it as it takes too long. Depending on the store of course. My store we pretty much disabled the EVAC because it took way too long.

Interesting as I bought a car with stripped drain plug and took it to Walmart hoping they would get it out. It was rounded very badly. They told me that ALL Walmarts went to vacuuming the oil out as company policy. Said too many drain plugs were getting damaged then engine claims from oil laeking out on way home. I went to Valvoline and they admitted to being the last ones to change my oil. Had a record of it before I bought it. They welded a nut on end of bolt to get it out like it happens regularly.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Experts say tribofilm is good and not to worry ...

Are you talking about Tribofilms created by Extreme Pressure lubricants such as ZDDP? Please elaborate?

My understanding is that according to experts , some left-over oil is not a bad thing. Some even change the filter every other time ... The leftover oil helps with forming new or preserving the existing tribofilm and I assume it may help with the wear and tear ... How significant, I don't know.

Maybe Shannow or others can elaborate. I am not an expert and all I got after reading some threads/posts regarding this subject, was not to worry about a little left-over oil. Before bitog, I used to wait or even shake the car till no more oil was dripping!
grin2.gif

This idea of 20% of old oil left is malarkey. I've always drained the capacity stated out of my vehicles and filled with the same.

I measure out 5.5qts with every fresh fill and because my engine doesn't burn nary a drop, i usually get darn close to 5.5qts out 5k miles later. I'd say if he's leaving "20%" in his engine, he's doing it wrong.

OP - no matter how long you allow the oil to drain, you will always have some contaminants left behind. I personally don't worry about it as I've got bigger fish to fry..but good luck on your quest!

Last edited:
They told me that ALL Walmarts went to vacuuming the oil out as company policy.

Not yet, anyway. I just had my Silverado's yearly oil change done at WM last week. They dropped the plug like they've always have.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I measure out 5.5qts with every fresh fill and because my engine doesn't burn nary a drop, i usually get darn close to 5.5qts out 5k miles later. I'd say if he's leaving "20%" in his engine, he's doing it wrong.

OP - no matter how long you allow the oil to drain, you will always have some contaminants left behind. I personally don't worry about it as I've got bigger fish to fry..but good luck on your quest!

I agree it's not 20% but your math misses the point. If it's a 1 qt hold up and you add 5.5 qts. Now you're at 6.5 qts. You still drain out 5.5 qts.

I assume the engineers are smart enough to think of hold up.

Originally Posted by Leo99

I agree it's not 20% but your math misses the point. If it's a 1 qt hold up and you add 5.5 qts. Now you're at 6.5 qts. You still drain out 5.5 qts.

Fair enough but I can't do anything about that hold up, unless I pick up my car and shake it all out. ...‚..so I worry about the 5.5qts I can do something about. And that should be the takeaway from this little discussion, don't sweat what you can not change. ...Ž

Interesting as I bought a car with stripped drain plug and took it to Walmart hoping they would get it out. It was rounded very badly. They told me that ALL Walmarts went to vacuuming the oil out as company policy. Said too many drain plugs were getting damaged then engine claims from oil laeking out on way home. I went to Valvoline and they admitted to being the last ones to change my oil. Had a record of it before I bought it. They welded a nut on end of bolt to get it out like it happens regularly.

I can see how a drain plug can become damaged. I can't understand why anyone would reuse it once it is even mildly damaged.
Throw that junk plug away! If the threads are not perfect, throw it away! Sheesh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted by tundraotto
You need to worry about new things. Oil is fine.

Yeah, this.

Like a PTU that handles a torque monster … FF is just 18 ounces, but only drained 14 ounces

Originally Posted by CR94
... Whether it is Walmart or Jiff Lube, leaving up to 20% of used oil of unknown quality should be a concern if your goal is to keep the vehicle for an extended period of time.
Unclear what alternative you're proposing to a normal oil change to avoid the feared residual old oil that's inevitably left to mix with the new. Totally disassembling and reassembling an engine to get out every drop?

I am starting to think the same thing. Instead of doing oil changes, the OP should open up the engine and "rinse" it out to remove all traces of the "old", nasty, metal-filled oil. His mind is made up though. No amount of common sense will change it....

Originally Posted by 4WD
Oh yeah like how much serviceable is reduced … and blotter tests ?

Hah, no! OIl analysis from a nationwide lab that does thousands per day.

Experts say tribofilm is good and not to worry ...

Are you talking about Tribofilms created by Extreme Pressure lubricants such as ZDDP? Please elaborate?

My understanding is that according to experts , some left-over oil is not a bad thing. Some even change the filter every other time ... The leftover oil helps with forming new or preserving the existing tribofilm and I assume it may help with the wear and tear ... How significant, I don't know.

Maybe Shannow or others can elaborate. I am not an expert and all I got after reading some threads/posts regarding this subject, was not to worry about a little left-over oil. Before bitog, I used to wait or even shake the car till no more oil was dripping!
grin2.gif

"My understanding according to experts....." Pretty much sums it regarding your contribution. Next.

Prove me wrong. Blackstone Labs agrees with me. Oil analysis of my own engine from another lab shows retention of 20% wear metals after a spill and fill.

Multiple forum members actually consulted their factor service manuals and found the amount of oil needed after a rebuild is up to one full quart extra.

When I had my engine rebuilt by GM, at their cost, they need 5.7 quarts, for a small 2.4L engine to bring it up to normal level.

The only Malarky is your response.

Wrong again. You can wait a year and that oil will not drain out. Perform a second oil change within a few miles and you will achieve a 98-99% exchange. Simple. When was the last time your personally rebuilt one of these modern engines?

If you personally don't care, why even respond.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by CR94

I am starting to think the same thing. Instead of doing oil changes, the OP should open up the engine and "rinse" it out to remove all traces of the "old", nasty, metal-filled oil. His mind is made up though. No amount of common sense will change it....

My mind is not made up. Prove me wrong.

GM already did that for me. After a rebuild, they needed 5.7 quarts for an engine that has a 5 quart sump.

Common sense tells me leaving up to 20% used oil in an engine is foolish. The same people will never buy a quart made up of 10-20% used oil of unknown quality, but they are happy to mix the same amount in their engine and think they have done well.

Originally Posted by Leo99

Fair enough but I can't do anything about that hold up, unless I pick up my car and shake it all out. ...‚..so I worry about the 5.5qts I can do something about. And that should be the takeaway from this little discussion, don't sweat what you can not change. ...Ž

Perform a second oil change after running the engine up to temp. Simple. Some people do this all the time in their transmissions, sometimes 3-4 times to get rid of most of the old fluid, instead of full fluid exchange by a professional.

Originally Posted by Linctex

The original oil sump contained 25 ppm iron wear. The new mixture within a few minutes contained 5 ppm iron wear. Actually TBN dropped by 10% along with viscosity.
That is not irrelevant.

Even still, it is a data sample of "1".... perhaps it would be prudent to have a greater sample count.

Run this oil change interval out to a normal mileage, and sample again. Then let's see what you've got.

Sounds like you just volunteered to be data sample #2. Let us know how it goes. Take pictures of the oil, do a blotter test and perform VOAs and UOAs at multiple intervals, and run it until it reaches end of life of the oil.

I did try to run it out but the wear metals and fuel dilution continued to increase and the viscosity dropped below the required level, long before the OLM said to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back