Walmart And Chevron Supreme

You would hope that a full or a good syn can take the abuse better and/or longer than a dino or blend. At least that's my theory for now.

I used my last batch of Costco Chevron Supreme 10W30 dino.
With dino, I start feeling uncomfortable after 4-4.5K miles and change the oil. With a good syn e.g. M1 EP 10W30 (15K miles oil) that I use in the same car, I've kept the oil up to 7-8K miles max. I also use PP 5W30 in the same car but change it at 6K miles. Currently it has Magnatec GTX Full Syn 10W30. Haven't decided when to dump it yet but the color still looks pretty good after 1500 miles and hasn't burned any oil. Magnatec has a very good Noack (6.9) also.
What abuse? The engine has operating specs, and as-designed they park a oil spec or set of specs in the user manual. Going outside the spec in manual does not make the engine abuse the oil any more than if using oil that is spec'd in the manual. Hence, if the manual does not spec out a synth oil they it makes no diff at all if a synth is used or not.

What abuse? The engine has operating specs, and as-designed they park a oil spec or set of specs in the user manual. Going outside the spec in manual does not make the engine abuse the oil any more than if using oil that is spec'd in the manual. Hence, if the manual does not spec out a synth oil they it makes no diff at all if a synth is used or not.

I was using the word "abuse" in general and didn't expect it to be dissected like we are in the courtroom ❌

as an example, with one of my cars, I can use 10W30 for 7500 miles under "normal" (not severe) driving conditions.
I have used 10W30 dino (CS) and 10W30 M1 EP in this car and both oils meet the spec. Per owner's manual, they should both be able to handle or take the "abuse" for the 7500 miles ...

However, i do 4000-4500 miles with dino and 7500 +/- miles with syn (M1 EP). Actually using syn saves me $ but that's besides the point.

Am I wasting $ by dumping Chevron Supreme dino or even M1 EP too quickly? Maybe!

If I was buying an otherwise identical car (please don't overanalyze identical) with 100K miles and records showed oil changes every 7500 miles one with dino and the other with a good syn (e.g. M1 EP), guess which car I would pick?

I Maybe changing my oil too quickly but in general, I think when push comes to shove, the syn can handle better than dino and one can do a longer oci with syn. That's all I'm saying and it's my current opinion based on my research (mainly from bistog).

YMMV :)

I Maybe changing my oil too quickly but in general, I think when push comes to shove, the syn can handle better than dino and one can do a longer oci with syn.

YMMV :)
Agreed that the syn might be able to handle better (harsher or more abusive use), but if the engine does not push the oil as hard as the syn can handle, then what's the point of using the syn. You see what I am saying here?

With the price of today’s synthetics being very competitive with dino, it is very easy to just go with synthetics.

Most so called Dino oils are really synthetic blends anyway.

Back